Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobby Zone Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Bronco2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Zone Super Cub

Hi everyone. RC is a whole new world to me so I'm glad I found this site. Last night I bought an old Hobby Zone Super Cub for Five Dollars. There is no transmitter,and the 8.4 Ni-MH pack is dead. The rec/esc is marked 27.095MHz.. The motor does run. It had a broken 10X8 prop on it. Can someone recommend a new set up? That is, radio,rec, esc, batt pack,charger, the correct prop etc. The only info I have about the motor is that it geared. I can't find any numbers on it. It has Park Zone pkz1070 servos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hobby Zone Super Cub

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Hobby Zone Super Cub and more can be found here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4371835
Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM
cubaneight

Really sorry, but I think the best thing will be to throw the lot straight into the rubbish bin (trash can??). As a newcomer to R/C aeroplanes, you have a lot to get to grips with without all the problems of getting your $5 'bargain' working. Treat yourself to a new ready to fly model complete with modern reliable radio and enjoy the experience.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Bronco2

Thanks,guys. I did in fact buy a new plane. It is a Cox Sky Cruiser and it was delivered today. In the meantime, I had bought the SC last night. I did find out that the parts would cost quite a bit more than just buying another RTF. I think it will be a wall hanger for now. I appreciate the link, daytonarc, there is a lot of information there that I can use.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Bronco2

There is still hope for the SC. The guy I bought it from has found the charger and the landing gear, his wife thinks she knows where the transmitter is. If she can't find it, does anyone know where I can get a 27 MGHz radio and rec/esc? If I can pull all this together I would like to upgrade to a LiPo battery pack. I will first try to revive the NiMh pack, but it has been discharged for a long time. Should I stay with the same prop that was on it(10x8) or use a 10x6? Any suggestions on the brand of LiPo battery and charger?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the hobby. In my opinion you will be throwing good money after bad with the super cub. The super cub and to an extent the sky cruiser are throw-away planes. You already have the sky cruiser so I would say take that and try it . These small planes won't handle much wind but at least the sky cruiser is somewhat durable so it should take some abuse.
If you think this is something you want to stick with then I would recommend buying a larger 4 channel trainer plane that will be something you can learn and grow with. Most folks who start with these little 3 channel planes either get frustrated from the get-go or end up outgrowing them quickly and in the corner they sit. When they add up all of the money they spent on them , they could have went out initially and bought a better plane and would have been ahead of the game. A better plane will stick with you longer as your skills improve and you won't get bored easily with it or advance beyond it.
Here is a good example :
www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx

Some day if you stay into it ,you will amass a load of spare parts and you can cheaply outfit or retrofit a broken plane but I wouldn't suggest throwing any money at the super cub at this point.

As far as the charger, if you are going to stick with electrics you can get a decent 50watt lipo (and other battery types) charger for under $50.00
Here's an example:
www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/chargers.html

and here is a very good one as well:
www.venom-group.com/Venom-Pro-Charger-w-Power-Supply-US.html

Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Bronco2

Thanks for the links flyinwalenda, I appreciate it. I really like the looks of the E-Flite Apprentice.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 AM
CURTISSP40
My Feedback: (27)

Hang in there,I started back in 86 with a plane that a neighbor gave me, and tryed to fly it by myself in an empty field behind my house and many crashes later i went to a local Rc field and a young fella showed me the ropes,thats the way to go, join a Club it is worth it, in time and money,these guys know how to do it and good luck.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I beg to differ with the other posters here, the Hobbyzone Super Cub is a great air plane for beginners. I teach kids to fly with them. All you need to do buy a 1300mah 11.1 volt lipo. I still have a couple of these planes with the brushed motor and stock radio. They will have twice the power and will run fine directly from a n 11.1 volt lipo as long as you don't stay full throttle the whole time and burn up the motor. If you do burn it up, $12 gets you a new one, or you can just buy a brushless set up and convert it. I have several of the old 27 mhz recievers and transmitters for this plane. If you can't come up with the original rx and tx from the guy you bought the plane from, PM me and I'll send you what you need, if I have it. If you listen to everyone else here and decide you don't want that old cub, I'll buy it from you.