Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Lipo battery charge time

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Beeza
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo battery charge time

Hi Guys, I just bought an Art Tech Jet Tiger EDF. This is my first time using a Lipo battery. I'm using the small charger that came with the plane. The instructions say to charge until the charger light indicates when the charge is complete. Also not to ocvercharge. The charge light indicated a charge after only a few minutes. I had power for all the controls, but had the radio turned on only a minute or so. 2 days later, I don't have enough charge to run the DF, only to work the mixer controls. I disconnect the lipo when I'm not using it.

Am I not charging the batt long enough? I'd leave the charger on a longer time if I could, but am afraid of the overcharge warning.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance! Beeza
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Lipo battery charge time

Setting aside all the complexities of the charger,instructions,leds, ect. One thing we can know for certain is that if the cells are all at 4.2 volts then the battery is fully charged. Hope that helps somewhat. I hope you have a way to measure the voltage.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 PM
cubaneight

Is the model and battery brand new or did you buy the outfit second hand? Just did a Google search for your model and apparently the battery is a 1800ma 3S- is that correct?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Beeza

The good news is that I got the system to work. I'm not use to the musical notes it plays when I first connect the battery. I guess that's when it's binding.

The batt says 11.1 v 1800 ma

http://www.nitroplanes.com/at-22072-...r-rtf-24g.html

You can scroll down for the plane and batt specs. I put a voltmeter directly on the batt and it reads 12.3 volts. The batt never got warm when I charged it last week. Is it supposed to be like this? Everything's running well now.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Beeza

and the model is new. I forgot to tell you.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: Beeza

The good news is that I got the system to work. I'm not use to the musical notes it plays when I first connect the battery. I guess that's when it's binding.

The batt says 11.1 v 1800 ma

http://www.nitroplanes.com/at-22072-...r-rtf-24g.html

You can scroll down for the plane and batt specs. I put a voltmeter directly on the batt and it reads 12.3 volts. The batt never got warm when I charged it last week. Is it supposed to be like this? Everything's running well now.

It shouldn't get warm when charging with stock charger and 12.6 is full. 12.3 might be all you get, that's almost full.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Beeza

Thanks for your help. I think it really threw me off when the charging time on the first ever charge wasn't more than maybe 10 minutes. I'm more use to nicads.... ;-)