Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

I recently bought my first large electric plane(pre-owned). It calls for a 22.2 volt battery. I have none, but I do have quite a few 11.1 volt batteries laying around. I have ordered the correct battery from Hobby King. While I'm waiting for it to be delivered, can I use a pair of 11.1 batteries, just to check the plane out?
    It is better to keep one\'\'s mouth closed, and be thought a fool, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

Sure thing, just as long as they are the same capacity and (preferably) discharge rate.

You can use packs of different discharge ratings as long as your requirements don't exceed that of the lesser of the two.

Many fliers use multiple smaller packs in series to create larger ones both for flexibility of use and less expensive replacement if a cell dies.
    Walt
    WT in Illinois

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Apair of 11.1 volt batteries makes 22.2 volts?

Cells in series add voltage but remain the same capacity. (3S 2000mah + 3S 2000mah = 6S 2000mah)

Cells in parallel add capacity but remain the same voltage so if you take the above cells and wire them in parallel you will get a 3S 4000mah battery.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com