Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Best place to buy depron

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:41 AM
rehaines1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy depron

I was wondering where the best place to buy depron is. I need to make a replacement rudder for a foamy. Just plain old 6mm white depron for yak-55 3d.
Thanks in advance
Rick
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Best place to buy depron

http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=75
Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM
soarhead-RCU

Or if you have a Dollar Tree store in the area you could buy a 20X30inch sheet of foam board. This is the stuff that has a foam core between a paper laminate on each side. Just draw your part on the stuff cut it out with a Excacto or razor blade. Soak the part in water for 20-30 minutes and the paper will peel off and then you have the foam part. Also most craft stores like Hobby Lobby have a product much the same. Wallmart has Elmers board but I have found the paper harder to remove after soaking than DT & HL.
Just a local available alternity for a small replacement part

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 10-21-2010, 03:12 PM
rehaines1

Thanks for the info. Once you soak the paper off is the foam rigid enough to stand up to the abuse of 3D flying? I really like the idea of being able to shop locally and I am sure that it is cheaper as well
Thanks
Rick

Old 10-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Crash-RCU

Dollar Tree foam board is not as ridged as depron and is only 5mm thick after the paper removed, but a couple of carbon fiber strips fixes that problem. $1 for a 20x30 sheet of foam and a few bucks for the carbon fiber and it is still cheaper than a sheet of depron by the time you get it shipped to you. At $1 asheet you can build alot of thrash and crash planes on the cheap.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:03 PM
rehaines1

Forgive the noob but I have to ask the question of why remove the paper? I am sure my feeble mind has not picked up on the obvious reason, is it weight, durability? Just curious.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
Rick
Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 AM
soarhead-RCU

rehaines:
If you leave the paper on it will be much heavier. Not sure of the ratio but have heard something like 2 to 3 times the weight as just the foam alone. Also I have seen planes built with the paper on and if you fly and it gets damp from dew or mist the stuff will start to de-laminate. One plane I saw was painted and sealed wiith Krylon clear and after a while it started coming off at the butt end joints.
As to adding stiffness to your rudder, I just glue a hard balsa spar at the hingeline of the fin to stiffen the foam up. then bevel the moving part and install the hinge tape. Works good for me on all my parkfliers. Do the same on horizontal stabs and TE of the wing for ailerons.

Good Luck
Bob
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
rehaines1

Thanks again. I used the ideas stated above and it worked GREAT!! A cheap fix for an inexpensive (but awesome flying) a/c
Thanks
Rick
P.S. I have enough foam left over to start playing with making my own foamy!!! :-)
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
soarhead-RCU

A word of caution!!!!!!!!! Designing and building foamies can be addictive....I have a basement room full of them as proof.....

Happy Flying
Bob
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
drive2survive
My Feedback: (27)

have had lots of experience with dollar tree foam, you can soak it for a long time with little or no results for getting that damn paper off!!! HOT TIP!!!
spray the sheet off with some plain water then hit it real good with some AWESOME FROM THE DOLLAR STORE wait 5 min and the paper peels right off!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too caution you with using dollar tree foam for $1.00 a sheet. Soon, very soon, you will be going out of your way to buy 10 more sheets. You just saw this new plane and have to get it built.

Use these links with caution. You may find you now have 100 foamy's around the house. You have been warned

http://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020909

I cut this one out tonight

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1508666

Buzz.