Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What size motor would be appropriate...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What size motor would be appropriate...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 09:36 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size motor would be appropriate...

I am new to the electric side of the hobby, and would like some of your expertise.

Are there any motors suitable for a larger size aircraft? Somthing in the 75" size at around 14 lbs...looking for close to 3-d power?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:06 AM
U2Steve

Default RE: What size motor would be appropriate...

Some of the larger Hacker brushless motors have that kind of power. But then a better question becomes "What size is your checkbook?"
Old 09-19-2003, 10:40 AM
P-51B

I was looking at the "applications chart" on the hacker page, and the closest I saw was the one for the GP PT-19. That's a bit larger, and probably not the same performance envelope. So, in looking at their chart, I wasn't really sure which one would fit the bill...and boy are they pricey!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

You may want to call the manufacturer you're interested in (Hacker, Astro, etc), they can usually recomend a power system suitable to your needs.
Otherwise, try contacting someone who's already done something like you're looking for.
Try browsing the gas to electric conversion forum. There's some big models there.

Jason
Old 09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
gwright

My 2-meter Funtana, hacker C50 acro motor, 20X8 prop on 30 nimh, 11.6 lbs
http://www.rccraze.com/funtana1.mpg
It's now a little over 2 lbs lighter and has been flown on lithium polymers. Now swinging a 22X12 at just shy of 6,000, so somewhere between a Zenoah G45 and G62 , but on a plane that's just under 10 lbs

My E3D XL which I will be kitting soon,... 88" span, almost 1600 squares, Hacker C50 on 6S4P lithium polymer.
http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo...aerobatics.mpg
http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo...3dXL_Hover.mpg

Both of the above give flights over 25 minutes with the lithiums, and the E3D has been increased to 7 lithiums now instead of 6, so thrust to weight is closer to 2 to 1 now instead of 1.5 to one like those videos show
Old 09-19-2003, 07:37 PM
gwright

here's a pic of both planes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99066.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	62368  
Old 09-19-2003, 07:52 PM
gwright

as to the price,..yes a C50 acro motor is rather expensive, but there's really nothing that can compete with it at the current time. There are a few really large (and heavy) motors from europe that are capable of close to the same power, but at much higher weights. I've ran C50's at 2.5 kilowatts, and i think there's one of the large outrunners they're advertising at 3KW, but the outrunners I've tried from never came close to their specs in performance, plus you have a weight penalty so I run nothin but hackers now. The speed controls we're using (hacker 77-3P opto) should be able to handle 12 lipo cells in series, although thats a bit above the "published" specs, so more power could be had if needed.
You've also gotta think about longevity. Unless you overheat a big brushless, or draw too much current (almost impossible with the C50, the batteries give up first ), then it will run the same 20 years from now that it does today, no degredation.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:31 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

hmmm..... Just the man I was going to mention.
Those are some beautiful planes there Gary.
Maybe one of these days my pocket book will agree with me.

Jason
Old 09-20-2003, 07:42 AM
e-bird

The motor isn't the problen who is goinng to feed it $$$$ batterys I think I put 4 digits maybe. CU
Old 09-20-2003, 05:50 PM
gwright

yes, the lipoly packs are very expensive. However, the math has been posted in several other threads regarding costs. It's far cheaper than glow fuel when amortized over the life of the battery, in cost per flight minute, actually less than half the cost of glow fuel. The difference is that it's like buying a drum or so of glow fuel right up front, rather than shelled out over time.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:56 AM
Lynx

Think of all the pollution and noise you're keeping out of the environment too. I'm not that much of a tree hugger, but the noise reduction alone is worth it
Old 09-22-2003, 06:14 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Lynx

Think of all the pollution and noise you're keeping out of the environment too. I'm not that much of a tree hugger, but the noise reduction alone is worth it
Lynx, producing batteries produces a lot of pollution, and the end products going to the landfill are much more hazardous (Nickel, Cadmium,!?!?), so I wouldn't worry about getting caught up in that. But the noise issue is a very good one. As is the ease of use, ie just flip a switch and your flying!

Gwright,

thanks for the input, the motor may just be the one I need.