Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to stop a BL motor through use of a switch

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

How to stop a BL motor through use of a switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM
courtneylynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stop a BL motor through use of a switch

Say I have an ESC powering a motor continuously through an AC->DC converter. (eFuel 1200W PS @ 20V)

The motor is driving a shaft, and in the event of a "mishap", a simple on/off switch pedal from a guitar is going to be used to stop the motor. I of course will not be supplying main ESC current through the pedal wire! It comes from the power supply.

If the ESC is setup for 100% drag brake, and I put the switch across the white signal wire from the "RX" (which is really just a potentiometer-type servo-tester generating a low<->high servo pulse to control motor RPM) to the ESC, will this tell the ESC to apply the 100% drag brake; loosing the white signal wire instantly, that is?

I'm not sure which is the best way to kill the motor with the floor pedal when no RX is there, just an RPM controller. This is for a testing setup for brushless motors. ...Just in case something goes wrong with the drive or motor RPM, it needs to be brake-killed instantly. Thanks