Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me with my gearbox problems!

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Please help me with my gearbox problems!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me with my gearbox problems!

I have an Eflite mini Edge ARF, with a Park 400 inrunner and Eflite plastic gearbox. This is the power setup recommended by the instruction manual. I have stripped the plastic spur gear on three gearboxes. The total flight time on those three flights total approximately thirty seconds.

I have installed the gear boxes per the instructions, used the plastic shipping bag as a gauge between the pinion and spur gears, lubed the pinion and spur, etc. etc. I am obviously doing something wrong, but obviously I can't figure out what it is.

I would greatly appreciate any and all input regarding this problem. Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Please help me with my gearbox problems!

What happened in those "30 seconds"? If you had a prop strike, the gear is gone as they are junk!

If the gears are stripping at start up , try setting your ESC to soft start.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS BUY A GEARBOX FROM MAXX PRODUCTS.
WALT
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Walt:

On the first two "flights" I felt that I may have had a minor prop strike, although there was no visible damage to the prop. I realize that any pressure on the prop, no matter how slight, will probably cause the cheap plastic spur gear to strip. On the third "flight" I held up elevator as I accelerated throught the take off in order to avoid a prop strike. This "flight" lasted only slightly longer than the first two.

I really have no idea on how to program the ESC for a "soft start". I would think that the factory recommended setup would be able to withstand a full throttle take off, but maybe not?

I plan to order a gear box from MAXX PRODUCTS, as soon as I determine which one will fit my motor. I have two more of the gear boxes coming from Horizon which I will return. Trying those again will just be throwing good money after bad!

I greatly appreciate your input and advice, Walt!

Regards!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

What brand ESC? If you don't have a manual (usually just a leaflet type thingy) you should be able to get one through product support.
Walt