Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

EC2 & 3 connectors; difficult to disconnect...

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

EC2 & 3 connectors; difficult to disconnect...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 AM
JPerrone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EC2 & 3 connectors; difficult to disconnect...

I have a Parkzone Albatros, and just received an Archer. The Albatros uses the EC3 connector on the battery, the Archer uses EC2. Both of them seem very difficult to disconnect. I've not had that much trouble with Ultra Deans (real ones) or Traxxas.

Do they loosen up with time (I doubt it!)
Does anybody replace them with Deans or other connectors because of this; or just live with it?

On cars, I like the Traxxas connector as you solder to a blade which is then inserted into a housing. For me that just works better. But they are a bit bigger than Deans, if I were to replace I'd probably go Deans. I also have a couple of Ares Gamma 370, they come with Tamiya (molex?) connectors. I don't like those; I replaced them with Deans right away and glad I did!

Regards
Old 02-28-2014, 12:24 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They will loosen a bit over time but, yes they can be hard to pull apart.

Something to try. Get some Vaseline. Put a tiny amount on a tissue. DON'T GET IT ON OUR HANDS.

Now, rub a little onto the male side, the side that goes inside the other. Get it all around but only on the part that goes inside, not the part you grab. Now, take another tissue and wipe off the Vaseline. What should be left behind is a tiny thin film on the male connector.

Now put them together and pull apart several times. It should be easier to separate them now but the connection should still be strong.

This will leave a small film on the inside of the female connector which should help lubricate other male connectors.

Try it and see how it works.

You can do the same on Deans connectors.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 PM
JPerrone

Cool!!!! and Excellent. I am working whether electrolytic grease would work better? Probably. But I've never seen this in person, at least not in the last 10 years!

Regards
Old 03-03-2014, 05:27 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a pair of snap-ring pliers. A ten-year-old kid at my field showed me that trick; works like a champ.

Those things certainly are a PITA to separate without a tool. The snap-ring pliers make it easy.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Jon1

As far as the EC3, go to Harbor Freight and pickup a set of circlip pliers. Using the longest tips makes unconnecting these EC3s a piece of cake