Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Motor shutting down

Old 03-26-2014, 06:10 PM
jjmretired
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor shutting down

I have a 1/4 scale Proctor D-VII with a Great Planes Rimfire 50cc motor 80-75-230. The ESC is an Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 2 HV160 50V. The battery packs are 12s, 5000 mah, 45-90C. The radio is a Futaba 7C with the trims set at nuetral and the throttle throw set at 100%. The prop is a 23x8 (mid range recomended) After arming, as the throttle is advanced, the motor's rpm increases normally until about 3/4 throttle then shuts off. When the throttle is shut down there is a beep beep --- beep beep --- beep beep (low voltage indicator). when the throttle is increased the same thing happens again, motor stops at 3/4 throttle. If I disconnect the battery and rearm, I get the same results. A couple times though, the motor didn't stop at 3/4 throttle and gave full power (30 lbs thrust). I even got one succesful flight. I've used three different fully charged/balanced batteries with the same results. I just sent the ESC back to Castle and they said it checks out 100%. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:25 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am going to move this thread as the "ask the expert" forum is no longer active.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Donwebster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, lots of channel long time no new thread....
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your wiring for a poor connection somewhere between the battery and the ESC. Most probably a voltage drop in the loop somewhere that causes a low voltage shutoff.