Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aileron and motor control only???

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Aileron and motor control only???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron and motor control only???

I have this Sterling Estes rubber powered 30" wingspan kit that I will be building as an electric.
Can this be built with ONLY ailerons, and no tail-feather controls?
The ailerons used for turning, and the motor speed for lifting?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can be done but is a nightmare to get trimmed out. You need very precise adjustments of thrust line, decalauge, CG placement, etc. You need to get it trimmed for a good glide first (no power) and then set the thrust line to give the proper climb and cruise settings.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Yes you can do it, but as Rodney has said trimming will be difficult. That being said, it won't be any different than manually trimming it as you did before.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:04 PM
DaveHickey

It would be a lot easier to do it with only rudder and throttle. Models of the rudder only period generally had at least fair dihedral so they would roll some when yawed. They also had some positive in the wing and compensating down thrust in the motor. They were trimmed to cruise level at mid throttle, climb at full throttle and glide at idle. It was really amazing the aerobatics that could be done with Rudder and throttle. Loops, barrel rolls, Spins, wing overs etc. D.H.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:26 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would agree with throttle rudder with significant dihedral. That is a well proven combination. However note that you have no ability to push into the wind so it can be easy to lose it on a windy day. You need elevator to deal with wind.

here is one example
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ2600....LPzhoCjqPw_wcB

Note that the motor is behind the CG with a slightly upward angle. This causes the plane to climb on throttle. But no elevator control to fight the wind. These are famous for going bye-bye on a windy day.

Aileron/throttle might be a little better in wind if you set them up as flapperons. Flaps, if used properly can have somewhat of an elevator effect.

Last edited by aeajr; 10-06-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember in the old days when to get a little wind penetration, we used to put a number of popsicle sticks under the back of the wing when the wing was held on with rubber bands. Love to have another Debolt Trainer.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

shd3920
I am intrigued to understand why can it only be built with ailerons.
Difficult to imagine a configuration that makes elevator control impossible.
Any chance of a picture?
Aileron, motor and elevator (bank and yank) is a very well proven layout.