Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Switching to Lithium batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Switching to Lithium batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM
yellow_cad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to Lithium batteries

What are some links where I can read about all that goes along with changing from NMH to Lithium such as CG, size of batteries, any pitfalls, etc. Thanks, Jim
Old 01-02-2015, 09:53 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a few key pieces of information you need.

No CG change needed. Keep it the same.

Lithium batteries, Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer require a charger that is specific to Lithium. Use a NiCd or NiMh charger and you will have a fire on your hands.

LiPo or LiPoly are the most common and are normally charged through the balance plug as LiPo are very sensitive to the cells being out of balance.

never discharge the pack below 3.0V per cell, so a 3S pack should never be discharged below 9V at rest. Once you get below that they start to take damage. Get below 2.5V per cell and they may take serious damage or may not be able to be recharged.

Packs are rated by C - a 20C pack can be discharged at up to 20 times its rated capacity. So, If you have a 1500 mah (1.5 Ah) 20C pack you can discharge that pack at no more than 20X 1.5 or 30 amps. And most of use would recommend that you should try to stay below 80% of that rated discharge rate. So that pack is rated for 30 amps discharge, I would try to keep it at no more than 24 amps discharge rate.

More on electric flight here:

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm