Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Very happy with E-Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 AM
iflircaircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very happy with E-Power

Hello folks:
So, I took up my kit built 60 size super chipmunk today.
I was very impressed with electric flight.
3 successful flights with no issues.
I'm running an E-flite 60 motor with a Phoenix lite 100 amp ESC on a 6s 5000 Mah 30-40C battery.
Firstly the plane needed no trim. I mean absolutely no trim at all.
Secondly the power of the motor was great. Flew most of my flights at just over half throttle. I used full throttle for vertical entry to a couple of stall turns.
The motor and battery got warm but not really any heat to speak of.
I've been flying with glow engines for 25 years or more and I'm very pleased with the performance of electric
I won't be converting all my planes to E-Power but will be using electric in my new ones.

Tom
Old 09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just look at the time and money you save flying "E" power. You do not need to wash the planes down to get rid of all the oil, no glow plugs to burn out, no fuel, fuel filters, fuel pumps to use.

I have a few planes i still fly that are glow. I have a World Models Chipmunk with a Magnum .91 fs in the nose and she is such a great flying plane. I love the sound of the fs as I cruise by at 1/2 throttle. Just putting around.

I have an old 3D plane called Formula 3D. It was made for a 60 2s or 91 fs. I run the Tacon 60, 6s 5000mah battery, 60 amp ESC, APC 18x6 prop. Oh she is fun to just hang on the prop. You will see you are flying more and more E power as the time goes on. Grab a plane, 4 batteries, go to the field with a Tx, plane, batteries, no flight box, fuel, tools, nothing but the Tx and planes.

Buzz.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:09 AM
iflircaircraft

Electric also allows me to fly without assistance. No one is needed to restrain the plane while I run it up and checking the needle to see if it's running too lean or rich.
No more worries of the glow igniter falling off when starting the plane or having to remove the igniter when close to the prop. Adjusting the needle valve while running was always uncomfortable as well.
Ill still be doing those things with my glow planes but when I don't feel like going through all that I'll just take the electric.
Another advantage to electric is not having to trim during flight as the fuel burns off as the balance remains the same throughout the flight.
I'll probably fly more now since I will feel safer flying alone.

Tom
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM
iflircaircraft

As far as saving time goes. I spend more time charging my batteries then I did cleaning my glow planes. But, I'm not complaining

Tom
Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I just use (4) chargers at the same time. I power them with converted PC power supplies. I can run 2 chargers off each power supply. They are easy to convert and pretty cheap too. it cost about $5.00 to convert and if you have to buy the power supply, they are only are $$20.00 to $30.00. I have a handful on hand so I just use my old ones from my desktops.

How to convert

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...owersupply.htm

Power supplies

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...093&CatId=1079

Buzz.