Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Crash lipo protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:59 AM
guinea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash lipo protection

New to eletc flite is there a way to protect lipo batt starting a fire in airplane crash? I fly at home field w 40 acres of warm season grasses in CRP that will burn all seasons.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would recommend 4 things to minimise the risk of a LiPO fire
1. Don't crash
2. If you must crash - do it gently. Avoid flying 'fast' planes when the ground fire risk is greatest.
3. Build the battery box in such a way that the LiPo has a 'crumple zone' ahead of it (as big as possible) so that in a sudden impact the g loading on the battery is reduced as structure breaks up.
4. Avoid surrounding the LiPo with anything that might pierce it. In a realyl severe crash as a conventional close fitting play battery box splinters it is quite capable of piercing a soft LiPo case.
Because a foam plane gives and crumples a LiPo is much less likely to get damaged badly enough to cause a fire.

A LiPo is surprisingly tough. I had one fall out of a plane from 150 feet onto grass with no damage. It is still in use!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM
DaveHickey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try one of these soft silicone batt covers, just remember that the battery will run hotter the more fire protection/padding you put around it: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4S_White_.html

or one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...35mm_1pc_.html

I have had some pretty nasty crashes and bent up and trashed several batteries (fat old man trying to learn to fly 3D) but (knock on wood) have never had a battery fire, or even seen one other than on videos for that matter. If you are really worried about it get a 5lb ABC fire extinguisher and keep it handy. It won't put out the battery fire but will control the spread to the surrounding grassy areas.

D.H.