Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Charging at the field

Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Scotticus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Charging at the field

Can anyone tell me a simpler more convenient way to charge at the field that hooking straight to my battery with my hood raised?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
raptureboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buy a lawn mower battery. Works well and can be charged at home with a car charger when needed.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:11 AM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only limitation is to how much current you can pull out of the lawn tractor battery. I get about 3 years out of one, which is pretty decent when you consider how reasonably priced they are. A deep cycle battery, such as used for golf carts and trolling motors would be the ticket, but they're heavy and a lot more expensive!
How many batteries do you plan on charging and what cell count and capacity?
I'm now moving up to the 4S 4000mAh size batteries, so I may have to use jumpers between the car battery and my field charging lawn tractor motor.
A generator would be nice, but that's why I use gas engines in my larger birds, gas is cheap and noise is not an issue on the farmland our club leases.
Pete
Old 01-28-2016, 02:58 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use a portable power pack jump starter (similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-600-W.../dp/B009YR00MI) for field charging using the 12V outlet and a cigarette lighter to banana plug adapter. I can use it for a full day of flying and recharging without even putting a small dent in it's capacity.

Beyond just for field charging, it's actually quite a useful device to have around. I've used the 110V AC outlets at home during power outages, and jump started my car off it once. I have the older model (without the air compressor) and have been using it for the past 5 years with no problems.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:22 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I feel for you guys !

We have power in our small clubhouse now and everyone charges out of a wall outlets. It spoils you FAST... It makes it tough to go to another field and have to figure the same battery/generator problems out. My buddy and I keep trying to decide if we want to splurge on a small Honda generator to charge the big 6 cell packs some of our planes use.

Its fun flying electric no matter how you charge but some ways are easier than others.

We have one member that always used to charge off his car battery.. Twice he ran it down to the point he couldn't start his car ! And everyone else had already left the field..... Then he had to run an extension cord to his vehicle and charge his car battery with his small airplane battery charger !
Old 03-27-2016, 06:22 PM
RCDrones

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use a portable power pack that I charge with solar panels. I hooked up a solar panel that feeds the power pack while I am flying. I can even charge my battery while my power pack is charging. I believe my total cost was under a $100 for the set-up I am using.