Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which of these 3 props to choose, when considering pitch vs thrust??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Which of these 3 props to choose, when considering pitch vs thrust??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:49 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which of these 3 props to choose, when considering pitch vs thrust??

When choosing a new Cobra Motor, I look at the specs on the websight and try to make sense of the charts of pitch rating vs thrust. I use to be concerened with how much thrust is produced, and that was mostly what ultimately mattered to me.....because we don't want and underpowered plane which floats off the ground and then requires 3/4 or more throttle just to lumber around. I use to think who cares about pitch, because the power rating is the bottom line! But...others have told me that the pitch rating on a chart must be considered too. These kind of factory specs are what confuse me;

Prop A) 12" x 8 pitch speed 66.2.....80oz thrust
Prop A) 13" x 8" pitch speed 58.2 ....88oz thrust
Prop B) 14" x 6" pitch speed 30.1 ...102oz thrust

Often, the choice is that you get more pitch, but then less thrust, or the reverse!
Not to get sidetracked off of my question, let's eliminate the battery energy, flight duration, and propeller ground clearance issues. Let's assume these factory specs are accurate too, and just focus on performance according to those numbers. If my plane is a 5 lb high wing 63" trainer like a PT40 for example, and I want to be sure the plane does take-offs without struggling, and then do some simple rolls ands aerobatics fairly easily.......which prop is best?

Last edited by rustyrivet; 02-18-2016 at 09:57 AM.