Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Astro 15 Cobalt??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Dale3Jr8
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro 15 Cobalt??

Need a little help here guys...I have come across an old Astro 15 Cobalt motor, which was mounted in a pretty beat up 'Skyvolt' (cub looking airplane). I have little to no experience with electrics, so I am not sure what to do with this thing. I understand that this was once a pretty good, and not cheap, motor, but how does it stack up against the newer motors? Would it be worth my time to rebuild the plane it came on, build something else around it, or should to go straight to ebay as a collectors item? I am typically a fun fly/sport type flyer, but I have a son who is just getting good on his trainer so this plane could be a viable 2nd aircraft for him. If it is worth trying to get airborn again, please suggest a good battery/esc to use with this motor.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Astro 15 Cobalt??

Great motor... it can be used in direct drive .... maybe an 7"-8" prop on 3s: gear it if you need a bigger prop.

Astro Cobalt 15, weight 8 oz .... use on 12 cells (~3s Lipo)......260 watts @30amps @13500 RPM w/ 8x5 prop .... suited to sport planes at 3 - 4 lbs
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Astro 15 Cobalt??

Big and heavy compared to modern brushless motors.

Check the condition of the brushes.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:37 PM
paul_spiers

I was given a brushed Astro 05 cobalt motor with a gear box. I want to put in a Slow Poke airplane. It does not have an ESC. What will work for an ESC / Battery combination? Thanks, Paul
Old 02-26-2016, 12:32 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might not be worth it? You would need a 40 plus amp brushed ESC. I did a quick search and found only ESC's for cars. For the cost of the brushed ESC;s you could get a new brushless motor and ESC.

Buzz.