Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Second thoughts on my ESC

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:20 PM
smitty4980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second thoughts on my ESC

Second thoughts on my ESC
I have a plane with about a 5 pound flying weight. It came with a Gunther 2028/07 700 watt 39X41 motor which calls for a 9X5 prop if used with a 5 cell battery or a 10X5 prop with a 4 cell. It also came with a Dymond 23680 70 amp ESC. I need a big battery for weight and balance. I got a 5 cell 30C continuous discharge 4000 mah battery. I'm concerned that this might be too much battery and burn up the ESC. I found a formula for battery amps which for this battery would be 30C X 4amps = 120 amps output max continuous load. I assume a 30C 4000mah 4 cell would also have 120 amps max continuous output.

So the question is, will the 70 amp ESC and 5 cell battery work okay together or do I need to change one or the other? If I need to change, what do I need to go to?
Sorry if I'm posting this in too many places. This electric forum looks like it is the best option. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Quorneng

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

smitty4980
The capacity of the battery (its mAh) does not impact on the ESC. Its the motor that draws the current from the battery.
So provided you are using the recommended motor and it has the recommended prop and there are the right number of cells in the battery (its voltage) then your 70 A ESC is safe.

The capacity of the battery just determines how long it can run for, however the overall weight of the battery will effect how the plane flies.

Last edited by Quorneng; 08-10-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:14 AM
smitty4980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I was hoping to have the plane ready to fly this weekend but I found myself full of doubt about the compatibility of these components. Your post was reassuring.