Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

RC Club Electrification Options

Old 11-06-2016, 10:13 AM
JoeSpitfire
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Club Electrification Options

Hi Everyone.

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so I decided this was as good a place as any. If there’s a better place for this type of question, please let me know.

Our RC club is located in southeast Wisconsin. We’re the largest club in the region with 140+ plus members and we lease our field from the local village. We’ve been looking at options for running electricity to our field for the past couple years. We’ve met with village representatives to discuss having our local electric company run a permanent line to our shelter, but that’s received only a lukewarm response from them. Instead of pushing that, and possibly damaging our relationship with our local village board, we are looking for some other options.

Our club flies mostly electric, with 3-cell LiPo packs being the primary source of power. However, we have several people who fly 4, 5, 6, and even 10-cell LiPo packs that would need some viable way of charging batteries. I’ve read several articles about systems with deep-cycle batteries coupled with a passive solar charging system, but I’m not convinced that this would generate the needed power, especially on busy days at our field. I’m wondering if there’s a more robust option of deep-cycle batteries, coupled with an auto-start/stop generator that would kick in if voltage on the battery banks drops to a certain level. A system sounds like it would meet the demands of all our flyers, and be portable, if we ever needed to relocate our flying field.

Has anyone had any experience with a set-up like this, or possibly something else that would meet our needs? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Joe
Old 11-12-2016, 06:03 AM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club averages about a 100 members per yr. We own our field and clubhouse. Back in the mid 60s, half a dozen of us were tired of getting kicked out of wherever we went to fly, so we pooled our money and bought 35 acres out in the boonies.
I plug a 1000 watt Yamaha generator into a plug on the outside of the clubhouse, or if it's some doo going on I'll bring the 2000 watt Champion.
On any day, there will be 4 or 5 of these little generators running and other club members will plug into them rather than starting up their own. Many others have the hood open and charge off their car batts.
Probably 3/4 of the club are electric now.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:25 AM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We did a camping trip a couple weeks ago. Brother bought one of the $90.00 little HF generators. We plugged a battery charger into it, battery charger to a deep cycle battery, we hooked up 10 lipo battery chargers to the deep cycle battery. We charged mostly 2200 3s batteries. I did charge up a couple 6s 5500. It was just a test but it worked very well. I do not think this would work on your scale. You might be able to look at 20 2x4 solar panels, charge controller, 4 or so deep cycle batteries. That would be a start.

Buzz.