Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Extending ESC Wires ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 PM
crapshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending ESC Wires ?

Hi, i read some time ago and forgot that if you want to extend the esc wires you should extend , which wires ? the wires from the esc battery end or the esc motor end ?? or doesn,t it matter ? i might need to extend by approx 50mm / 2 inches.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:44 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Whenever possible always extend the length of the wires between the motor and the ESC. You will have no issues doing that.

If you can't and have to extend the wires between the battery and the ESC then you will need to install an ESR grade 220um capacitor across the battery leads at the ESC for every 2" of extra wire length.

If you don't feel like making one there are modules that can be added simply like the one from Castle.
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/cc...ck-011-0002-02
Old 03-30-2017, 12:54 PM
crapshooter

Thanks Brian, i only need to extend the esc wires from motor [ 3 of ] so i can get the esc further forward for correct c.o.g. balance. is it ok to make up 3 short extension wires with the good quality gold plug in connectors rather than remove these 3 wires from esc or motor so there longer ?
Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could but I would solder/splice/shrinkwrap the extension wires in on the ESC side and only have one set of bullet connectors. Up to you.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:09 PM
crapshooter

thanks again Brian , i will do what you said as it does certainly sound like a better way to do this extension.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:16 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Extend motor wires, and keep the battery wires short. Keep controller(s) close to battery(s):
Too long battery wires can kill ESC over time: precautions, solutions & workarounds - RCG
Contents
  • Solution I & II, rules of thumb
  • Problem
  • Capacitor type & polarity (orientation!)
  • How & where (not) to add extra capacitors
  • DIY capacitor pack pictures
  • Capacitor & pack suppliers
  • Expert/manufacturer opinions, they all say the same ... & their rules of thumb.
  • Explanation, water hammer/knock analogy, theory, references, measurements
Vriendelijke groeten Ron