Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

ESC or motor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 AM
bigbird007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC or motor problem?

I have an FMS 1400 Zero I recently got in a trade, the problem I am having is that the motor will go to full throttle if I advance the throttle slowly but if I give it full throttle all at once it will start but then immediately stop. It will restart if I pull the throttle back and advance it again.

I've tried different batteries with the same result.

How can I determine if it's the speed control or motor? Or could it be something else.

The speed control is a Turnigy 70 amp sBEC, I don't know about the motor, there are no markings on it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 PM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to calibrate your transmitter THR parameters.
1) Before you plug in either Tx or Rx, move your THR stick to FULL(all the way UP) w/TRIM to Center position.
2) Turn on your Tx....
3) Plug in your Rx.... wait till you hear the 2nd set of BEEPS from the ESC....quickly move the THR stick back to 0(all the way DOWN)
4) Your THR should now be calibrated for total movement.
5) Turn the Tx OFF & back on & check THR movement with the motor speed. Move your THR TRIM to 0 to insure the motor is not running.

Denny
Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 PM
bigbird007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the reply but...

I don't believe that's the problem Denny, The motor arms no problem and runs up to full throttle if I don't slam it to full throttle. It also will work again if I lower the throttle all the way and then bring it up slowly. It's only when I "punch it" that the motor or ESC cuts off. I don't really want to buy both when I'm pretty sure it's only one of them that's the problem.

bigbird
Old 01-05-2018, 04:26 PM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you will have to engage in the process of elimination. First, the Tx needs checked by using another plane to check your Tx's THR range & determine if the THR movement isn't being interrupted from 0 to FULL, or somewhere in between, perhaps the internal stick gimbal pot. If another model works under the conditions you are employing, then the model with the problem has an issue with either the motor or the ESC. Next, do you have a Turnigy ESC Programming Card? I use Turnigy ESC's exclusively on all my planes & use the ESC P-Card to set all the ESC parameters I want for each model. So simple & it works flawlessly. If you don't have one...GET ONE!!! Cheap & invaluable for EP. Lastly, try the ESC on another model that is working correctly to see if it exhibits the same symptoms. Your condition may be the "Start Mode" setup, or the "Timing Mode" setup within the ESC. The process of elimination is your only recourse. Pic attached of my Turnigy P-Card connected to one of my planes' ESC's.

Denny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ESCProgCd1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	2250031   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESCProgCd3.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	2250032   Click image for larger version

Name:	ESCProgCd2.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	2250033  

Last edited by yorkiepap; 01-05-2018 at 04:29 PM.