Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Some questions on changing battery size

Old 05-18-2018, 09:30 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Some questions on changing battery size

Hi all-

I have a plane that seems a bit over powered. I have been using a 5S LIPO (5000mah) for this 60 inch wingspan stik, but find myself flying it 90% of the time below 50% throttle while doing everything I want to do. The other 10% is less than 75% throttle including take off. While this may sound like a good thing, I need to buy a couple more batteries and am wondering if it would be better to go to a 4S rather than a 5S.

If you think it would be OK, should I:
Stick with the 5000 mah---I'm getting more than enough flying time (over 12 minutes) or would 4000 mah be ok?
Change prop size, perhaps down one inch of diameter?
Any other suggestions?

I will certainly check CG if I do end up with a lighter battery. I t would also give me a bit more room up front.

Thanks-

Larry
Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Quorneng

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't need the power changing to a 5000 mAh 4s would make sense.
You would be loosing 20% voltage so rather more than that in maximum power but you are also saving 20% battery weight so you won't need as much power to achieve the same performance.
With he reduced voltage you will also be drawing less current so you could fit a bigger prop (either diameter or pitch) to restore the desired performance. .
The only practical way is to try it and see.
This sort of experimenting is very interesting but I would strongly recommend you get a Watt meter so you can measure the actual current to make sure you are not over loading the motor, ESC and battery..