Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Battery Weight and Plane CG

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:21 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Weight and Plane CG

Hi All-

Like to know what others are doing--
I have a few planes that use either a 4S, 5S or 6S battery. Since I am not as proficient a pilot as many, I would prefer starting out flying these planes with a 4S battery and moving up to higher power/speed as I become better at flying and landing the plane.

This question also pertains to different battery manufacturers as well as the possibility of differing "C" values.

Point is the difference in weight of these different batteries can be significant and will most definitely impact the plane CG (planes like ultrastik or tiger 60, etc)

I gather my options are:
Set CG with lightest battery and adjust flying for a nose heavy plane with the heavier batteries (tough landings probably).

Set CG with heaviest battery and then deal with a tail heavy plane (I"ve been taought this is a no-no)

Weigh the batteries and adjust batteries themselves with stick on weights to get them close in weight and set CG accordingly (I can do this as I have about 10 lbs of 1/2 OZ weights)

Check CG each time I change batteries and adjust accordingly.

What are other people doing?

Thanks

Larry
Old 09-26-2018, 08:23 PM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My practice: Set proper CG with heaviest battery and use the heaviest (more powerful) battery.
Power is your friend, especially on takeoff. Better to have it and don't need it, than to need it and don't have it.
If you want lower cruise-speed, reduce throttle.
Optionally, you could reduce the prop size to reduce thrust, and then use a more optimum prop later to increase performance. But that would eliminate your reserve power for takeoff.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:36 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply