Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Heli Motor In Plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:02 AM
CougarRules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli Motor In Plane

Hi Guys,

I have 75% of a Trex500 Kit that comes with 100% of the electronics including this motor http://www.heliguy.com/trex-500mx-br...DYchoCakDw_wcB Basically someone i knew who was building this heli passed on and as i have no heli experience I'd like to use this motor in an airplane, i also have 3 x 2250mAh 6-Cell / 6S 22.2v 45C Thunder Power Lipo's that are unused but been sitting on a shelf for approx 2 years.

Is it possible to put this all in a plane if so what size or maybe even make some sort of foamy flying wing for it, also what type of prop could i put on this?

Any Ideas would be appreciated, i have been out of the RC flying game for a few years now and this has given me the kick i need to get back into it

Thnx Guys Cougar.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:03 AM
shop970

Default shop970

I need to go look at the link you posted to see the Trex 500. specs.

Regardless of the equipment you have, go see the specs for the motor. Find the watts it produces and the amps it pulls. The Kv rating determines the RPM per volt. This will give you an idea of the Thrust in OZ for the weight of the model. It may be a hi RPM with a low pitch, or be a fast model. As it depends on what kind of flying and the size of the plane. A brush less outrunner is a versatile motor, it just has to be used as intended. Study similar motors and learn about "power" in watts.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:44 AM
shop970

I don't fly Heli's . So I'm no expert. but from what I can see from the Trex motor specs. this is a pinion geared drive? in the Trex 500 copter. This is the reason for the hi 1600Kv rating. Being much too fast for a direct drive airplane propeller. An airplane needs lower RPM with torque, to spin a hi pitch propeller. even 1/2 that for a plane 800Kv to 950Kv
But this is not always the case. Some multi rotors are much lower Kv motors suitable for airplane propellers.

Good luck to you with tinkering. . . . I think I would go with a smaller motor for an airplane project. that heli motor at 37mm x 50mm & 187 grams! Is large!
Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Motor specs:

ā—¸Input voltageC11.1V-25.2V 3-6cell Li-Po
ā—¸Max continuous current:75A/110A(5sec)
ā—¸Max output power:1600W/2300W(5sec)
ā—¸KV value:1600KV
ā—¸Dimension: spindle Ī¦5xĪ¦40.9x46.5mm
ā—¸Weight: 197g (prox.)

1600 kV is not a particularly high kV for an airplane. I have used 1250 kV motor in a glider and a 1500 kV in a small airplane. It just determines what prop you need. The question is whether you can match up a prop in direct drive that would be suitable for an appropriate plane. As a Heli motor is assumes a gearbox and you can certainly use it with a gearbox on an airplane.

At 1600 to 2300 watts, this is a very powerful motor. at 1600 watts and 100 watts/pound it could fly a 16 pound plane. You would plan to use a gearbox to turn a large enough prop to work with a plane that size so again, you are probably going to be using this with a gearbox.

At 197 grams = about 7 ounces this is not going in a parkflyer.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 PM
shop970

Yes! That is correct. . ."The question is whether you can match up a prop in direct drive that would be suitable for an appropriate plane. As a Heli motor is assumes a gearbox and you can certainly use it with a gearbox on an airplane."

If you can match the Airplane weight / power/ Prop/ Kv / you can use any motor you choose. but experience is clear hear for a 15 lb airplane. And the knowledge of power plant match up.
A great overall view of what can be done with a large motor. . . . a project for a large plane!

Being the exact hobby that R/C has become. . . The correct motor is a better place to start for what you can afford for most people. !

Having fun matters!
Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM
crazyflyer92

I use heli motors in all my speed planes, I have a trex 500 motor on a scratch built ace glh Which is a go fast plane and I’m running a 7x10 prop on 6s 2200mah. I get 2400 watts at around 100amps the plane only weighs 3lbs. It does around 170mph and hauls! The heli motors run very nice and stay cool. I’m building a Phoenix Strega.46 size with a 700 heli motor and 12s have not decide on the prop yet.

Jeff