Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

what kind of motor can I choose

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

what kind of motor can I choose

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:58 AM
Esther George

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of motor can I choose

As many of you know, a motor cannot have high torque at the same time that KV is high. Because KV is high and torque is high requires a larger diameter and a longer copper wire and a stronger magnet, rotation requires a larger current and voltage, and therefore the power is greater, the motor will be heavier, and weight is a very important factor for things flying in the sky. So as a novice, what kind of motor can I choose?
Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Roni Haslim

First, you need to know the weight of your drone. You also need to buy an ESC.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Dave Brubeck

As a novice, I recommend buying a complete set of power plants, because if you buy a motor alone, you have a lot to think about. And easy to damage drones
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Esther George
As many of you know, a motor cannot have high torque at the same time that Kv is high. ...
Kv has no effect on a motor's maximum torque. Kv is only about matching battery voltage and desired rpm.

Note that Kv says absolutely nothing about max.power or max. current a motor can handle, or about max. torque. A 1:1 train motor and the motor in your toothbrush or in a bedroom appliance can have the same Kv of 2200rpm/volt.

It's all about what the motor wants to do versus what the motor can do.
Kv matches rpm and voltage, there's nothing more to it.
  1. Kv and voltage determine how fast motor wants/tries to run
    (rpm_noload = voltage × Kv).
  2. RPM and prop determine torque, which in turn determines current
    (current = torque × Kv, in SI units!).
  3. Max.current and power determine whether that battery/motor/rpm/prop combo can run without going up in smoke.
An engine tries to keep a constant torque: as load goes up, rpm goes down.
An e-motor tries to keep a constant rpm: as load goes up, current goes up.

... what kind of motor can I choose?
Get/copy a proven plane/battery/controller/motor/prop combination.

But if you want to choose yourself, a steep learning curve, below an excellent quote about motor selection from brushless motors Kv - RCG?.

Originally Posted by scirocco
While an absolutely critical part of the system ...
... Kv is actually the item one should choose last.
  1. Decide your peak power requirement based on the weight of the model and how you want to fly it.
  2. Pick a preferred cell count (voltage) and pack capacity for how to deliver the power.
  3. Pick a prop that will a) fit on the model and b) fly the model how you want - often as big as will fit is a good choice, but if high speed is the goal, a smaller diameter higher pitch prop will be more appropriate.
  4. Look for a size class of motors that will handle the peak power - a very conservative guide is to allow 1 gram motor weight for every 3 watts peak power.
  5. Then, look for a motor in that weight range that has the Kv to achieve the power desired with the props you can use - a calculator such as eCalc allows very quick trial and error zooming in on a decent choice. For a desired power and prop, you'd need higher Kv if using a 3 cell pack compared to a 4 cell pack. Or for a desired power and cell count, you'd need higher Kv if driving a smaller diameter high speed prop compared to a larger prop for a slow model.
The reason I suggest picking Kv last, is that prop choices have bounds - the diameter that will physically fit and the minimum size that can absorb the power you want. On the other hand, combinations of voltage and Kv are much less constrained - at least before you purchase the components.

So Kv is not a figure of merit, in that higher or lower is better, it is simply a motor characteristic that you exploit to make your power system do what you want, within the constraints you have, e.g. limited prop diameter, if it's a pusher configuration, or if you already have a bunch of 3S packs and don't want to buy more, and so on.

Minor lay-out changes by RvS

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 08-30-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:25 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

... So as a novice ...
Trainer and training suggestions:
Advice for getting into flying RC airplanes, and how not to - The Ampeer

Some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, including two e-books, and some handy e-tools as well. Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.
Keep battery-/-watt-/multi-meter wires short!
too long wires batteryside will kill ESC over time: precautions, solutions & workarounds

Prettig weekend Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
Old 09-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Esther George

I am using a shaft-retaining UAV with an axle base of 1550mm and a bodyweight of 6.2kg.