Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

AeroBird Wing Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Argile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroBird Wing Problems?

I have heard there is a small problem with the AeroBird's wing. That is, when you go into a dive and then pull up it will sometimes shear the wing due to the excess force exerted on it. Is this true, and if so how do you prevent this. I have not tried the particular maneuver with my AeroBird Challenger because I just received it and have been getting accustom to it.

Thanks for the help,
Wes
Old 10-04-2003, 02:01 AM
plano97

Default RE: AeroBird Wing Problems?

This is absolutely false. I have done many loops and the wing
never fold or shear. It is a very durable wing
unless you crashed and bent the wing.
The crease in the wing will make it more likely to fold
under stress unless you reenforce it after the crash.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Dazzler
My Feedback: (6)

Argile, I have done many power dives with my Aerobird, flying out of it with a high
G loop, and never had any problem with the wing folding. As long as your wing is in good condition, and never suffered any previous damage, dont worry about it. Fly that sucker, and have FUN!!!

Daz...
Old 10-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Airborne 2007

I agree with the above i have done many loops w/ my original Aerobird and never had a problem with the wing folding. However if you are flying in higher winds (like above 10-12 or so) Take it a little easier and see if the wing is bending at all from stress in the air during loops. I havent had mine up in higher winds yet. However make shure you do the mods for this bird. search here for "Aerobird mods" it will make your bird last longer and without many problems.
Hope it helps
-John
Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 AM
sierra gold

I have read that a little extra insurance can be had by putting a strip of "stranded packing tape" on the wing underside covering the middle 2/3 of the wing's length. This tape is used on Zagi wings for strength. It is fairly light and will add to the wing's resistance to flex or fold.

Sierra Gold
Old 10-05-2003, 05:41 PM
PHIL I.

[8D]
WES!
What your thinkin is probably the tape put on the TE to prevent prop rash on HEAVY landing.....You know..The controlled crash..
PHIL I.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Argile

Alright guys, thanks for the help. The story I read must have been from a poor wing in bad condition. I just wanted to be sure this wasn't a problem before I really give the plane a workout.
Thanks,
Wes
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Wyld Weasel

Hi All:

I'm just going to add my 2cents worth.Instead of packing tape I'm using the nylon reinforced tape 1"wide and running three lines on the wings top, middle and bottom of the underside of the wing.Also run this or duct tape across the wheels and up to the underside of the nose.This keeps wheels on and doesn't scuff up the nose.

Wyld Weasel
Old 10-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Airborne 2007

Welcome to RCU. What exactly do you mean by:

"Also run this or duct tape across the wheels and up to the underside of the nose.This keeps wheels on and doesn't scuff up the nose."

I would like to know what you mean because i have a black plastic nut that has stripped out and i havent even used the landing gear yet. So i dont want to by more because i have a feeling they will do the same thing.

Thanks
--John
Old 10-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Wyld Weasel

Hi All:

As far as I know the commander just has a snapin groove for the landing gear.By taping accross this should keep the landing gear in place.And if the gear should detach from the plane the tape going around the bottom of the nose should keep it from getting scuffed up.

Wyld Weasel
Old 10-18-2003, 02:30 AM
ZipLoc

Argile

the myth is TRUE!! I have over "G"d my Aerobird and the wings snapped in half! Although, it was cool to watch it spirally out of control from 2000 feet, I shifted the motor on impact. I think this was mainly because it was an older wing with previous creases in it. so it is a good idea to reinforce it like the others say.

-ZipLoc