Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

AirPlane Attacks RCUniverse Member

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

AirPlane Attacks RCUniverse Member

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 02:57 AM
GUNSHIPGUNNER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirPlane Attacks RCUniverse Member

While testing one of my new hot brushless motors I had just mounted in a 3D type plane I somehow energized it by accident and the 11X8 prop cut my left forefinger tip to the bone twice!!

EIGHT STITCHES and I am LEFT HANDED of course.

If that wasn't bad enough how about the fact I badly damaged 5 airplanes and burnt up a brushless speed controler complete with a new motor in the process?

The plane that cut me took off at full throttle across the shop hitting 3 other planes hanging from the ceiling. Next it proceeded to dive right into my main workbench where it tore up another plane I had just finished covering. After spending some time doing these things it then found my little rack that I keep all of my various bottles of CA in and promptly spread thick and thin CA all over my best tools. Finally stopping wedged in a corner where the prop could no longer spin. This smoked the controller and the motor and almost melted the batteries.

BTW: I usually follow a strict set of safety guidelines I adopted years ago when operating on or working on electrics. I left out one simple step and look what happened!!

I always have a fuse in-line and never energize the motor without it being mounted either in a test stand or in an airplane. Then I only apply power if the plane is going to takeoff or it's in a test stand. While building this one I ran out of fuses and used a short piece of jumper wire in place of the fuse. STUPID IDEA!!
I forgot to remove it as I went to adjust the control surfaces.
Somehow the motor went to WFO when I switched on the receiver. (the transmitter was on)

Live and learn!! OUCH!!
Old 05-02-2002, 07:22 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

I had my E3D do the same thing when I turned it on the other day to do some taxi tests in the parking lot behind my dorm. It went to full luckily a parked car stopped it. I broke the nose off, but its back together now. I was going to test fly it today, but the winds are blowing way too much.

Sorry to hear about you burning up the controller. I know those things can get pretty expensive. If its a Jeti you can send it to Hobby Lobby and I think they'll replace it for half the cost of a new one. (or repair it)

--Paul
Old 05-03-2002, 01:19 PM
Mikerjf-RCU

Sorry to hear about the carnage. I did the same thing with a 20 size trainer. Used an electric starter to get it going and when I put the starter off to the side the starter wire pulled the throttle to wide open. Plane jumped forward and hit me in the right hand. 9 stitches on my middle finger. Never put the transmitter on the same side of the plane as the starter anymore.

Mike