Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hobbico Superstar EP Select

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 07:20 PM
WacoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Superstar EP Select

Im looking for a 2nd r/c airplane because im upgrading from a firebird commander and i was looking at the Superstar Ep Select. Is there anyone who knows something about them and could give me a little info on it? Or if this isn't a good plane is there another r/c plane in the $250 range? Thanks for looking[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 AM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Hobbico Superstar EP Select

i just bought one as my first electric. i normally fly 1/4 scale. i got the one with radio installed for 180.00, what a bargain. plane is very easy to fly. bought a 50.00 battery and am getting 12 min . flight
Old 11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
roncej

Default RE: Hobbico <span class=

laryboy,
What battery did buy; which charger do you use for it?
Have you made any other mods to increase flight times?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:05 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

i bought a 2400 mah racing car nicad. if you buy top shelf it will cost about 50-60 $ the brand was duratrax i think. i use a intellipulse charger that can charge at 5 amps.this means i can recharge in about 1/2 hour. i use a GWS charger in my car. it too can charge at 5 amps. after you get airbourne pull back on the power for long flight times.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:14 PM
sierra gold

ORIGINAL: WacoFlyer

Im looking for a 2nd r/c airplane because im upgrading from a firebird commander and i was looking at the Superstar Ep Select.
I have seen it fly and it seems to be a nice aircraft. Since you mention you fly a Firebird - I would caution you that this is a large, fairly heavy aircraft and I would not consider it a "parkflyer" like your Firebird. It needs a large field or a club field to be safe. If you live in the country or have a local flying club, you are fine.

Just something to consider.

Sierra Gold
Old 12-01-2003, 08:48 PM
bguy144
My Feedback: (47)

i just got mine about 4 days ago and i love it, assembaly is a snap, it flys like a dream. i had a areobird chalenger at first and that thing is just a toy conpared to the superstar select ep. they are right ithought it dose take a little bit more space to land it, you just have to cut back on the throttle early. i fly mine at an elementry school by my house and it is fine. the plane will take of in about 35ft or less, i have not done any stunts but i can tell it would handel a loop fine and frome what i hear a roll. hope that helps
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Mini Boy

Hi Bguy & Laryboy!

Glad you guys like the Superstar EP Select. I wonder if you are flying it stock, or did you add any modifications?? I had read that the landing gear could be a bit stiffer and maybe a bit longer for better prop clearance on grassy fields. Do you have any ground looping problems on takeoff??

If you broke any props, did you find replacement 9 X 5.5 props, or did you use another size?

Happy and Safe flying,

Russ
Old 01-13-2004, 09:09 PM
beginnerdude

I got mine for xmas and Id say its awesome but you should have experience with rc planes before attempting to fly it. Its my first plane and im only 14 but during takeoff(my dad was flying) the rudder/front wheel wouldnt level out right and it spirald up then down into the ground luckily only the prop was injured and a tear in the monokote. I recomend a rc simulator before flying
Old 01-13-2004, 09:13 PM
beginnerdude

[X(]and by the way in my opinion gas is better
Old 01-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

beginnerdude,

A plane like the Superstar EP should be flown with the help of an experienced R/C pilot until you get the hang of flying it. It's made of wood, and cannot withstand repeated crashes.

I have a good idea of what caused your "wouldn't level out" problem. Your dad isn't an experienced R/C pilot either, right? I'm sure that at the time of the spiral, he was holding full back on the elevator stick, trying to force the airplane to climb. One thing you have to remember is that the elevator is not the "Magic Up Stick." The elevator only changes the pitch of the plane; it doesn't make it climb. A combination of pitch change and speed makes the airplane climb. Only move the elevator stick enough to change the pitch of the plane, then let it spring back to the middle. If the plane has enough speed, it will climb. Otherwise, it will return to its previous flight path automatically.

The plane flipped over to the left and went in, didn't it? Such behavior is caused by trying to force the airplane to climb when it does not have enough power and/or speed to do it. Inexperienced pilots instinctively yank full back on the elevator when they should be pushing slightly forward to get the nose down and level the plane out.

If you stick with it (and I hope you do), you'll find out that the plane knows how to fly all by itself. Go with the flow, give the plane gentle nudges, suggest where it should go instead of trying to force it to bend to your will. You and the plane will get along a whole lot better
Old 01-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Mini Boy

Matt .....

Well written post .... great information for beginnerdude, and many others I'm sure!

Happy and Safe flying,

Russ
Old 01-14-2004, 09:01 PM
WacoFlyer

I went ahead and bought the Superstar Ep Select. I bought it off ebay for only $149.00 with everything included, even the hobbico ac/dc charger. I took it out to my local flying club and she took off in about 30ft with a little headwind down the rwny. I did a Few touch and goes then just let her fly around the field. When I came in for a landing she made a near perfect touchdown on the pavement. I recieved alot of complements, and some people even clapped. I'm very pleased with my new "bird".
Old 01-30-2004, 01:12 PM
TCMACK

Guys,

I got one a couple weeks ago and the plane was well made and went together easy. On my first flight, I did what one member mentioned and pulled back all the way on the elevator on take off and stalled the plane. I ended up breaking a prop and the battery went through the engine bay and broke a few pieces. On my future flights I will better secure the battery, get more speed, let the plane fly and only make small corrections. I see a lot guys going with 3" tires, Endoplasm motor, gearbox, and a few other mods. I want to learn to fly it in stock form before doing the mods.

Mac
Old 02-16-2004, 07:59 PM
BCB

Hey guys I have one to, this thing is great.I just did the hopup for it.Check out this read.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=112961

Hope you like

Brian.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Nickerz
My Feedback: (1)

Hey WacoFlyer!

It's funny b/c I started with the Firebird Commander too and then bought the Superstar EP Select! I flew the SS just last week for the first time and safely landed it. My hobby shop sold me 3000mAh Ni-mh battery and I have a peak charger which has given the plane more power and my flight time was 6 minutes exactly but I could have flown for at least another minute or so. I really like the SS and I have to say that I had tons of fun even with the little Firebird Commander! My friend and I would fly it off his rooftop...I know, it sounds crazy but we have video of it and that little foam plane takes a lick'in and keeps on tickin'. I don't dare fly the SS off his roof though but a small school nearby was perfect (as another guy mentioned in this post).

Hope you're still having a blast with both planes as I am! I contacted a flight instructor who is going to take me to the field and help get certified. My friend gave me his Super Frontier 40 with all equipment plus a 6-channel JR XP-652 radio for taking care of his place and cat while he was away. What a deal! So I want to get serious and learn how to fly really well with an instructor.

Love this forum site! Lots of great tips and videos!

Nick

ORIGINAL: WacoFlyer

Im looking for a 2nd r/c airplane because im upgrading from a firebird commander and i was looking at the Superstar Ep Select. Is there anyone who knows something about them and could give me a little info on it? Or if this isn't a good plane is there another r/c plane in the $250 range? Thanks for looking[sm=biggrin.gif]