Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

first flight!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 09:12 PM
IrocZ202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first flight!

Ok, im new the the R/C Universe. I thought Id tell everyone how my first flight went today!
I bought a glider about 3 years ago and flew it a few months before i crashed it and totaled it. being a 14 year old without a job, i didnt have the money to get a new plane so I got out of it.
So Now i have a job and decided to get a little RTF parkflyer. Something I could take to a field near my house and wizz around. I bought the Aerobird Challenger. It came in today, I put it together, charged the battery, and took off for the field. Now keep in mind I havent flown in 3 years.
I was a little worried about wind but I figured this is a powered craft so it could handle it. range check, throttle up, perfect hand luanch and the wind carried it all over! it was all I could do to keep it within the operating range! I was so scared! I was fighting the wind, full throttle, and where I fly there is a huge open sod field, and across the road is another with a pond. nature being just that, blew my bird right over the pond. Then I really thought I was going to crash. I spent 5 or 6 minutes trying to get it near me to land! Everytime i would bring it in for approach, i would throttle down, start in, and wind would blow it back up. I finally did a loop, and after that, brought it down for a not so gentle landing (canopy came off) I was so exhilerated and happy i didnt total the plane. This evening the wind died down so i recenter the wing, tape the canopy on, and toss it again. TOTAL opposite of last time. I had complete control. I did 5 launched. Each time i brought it in for a pretty good landing. Im so happy with my aerobird. Sorry if ive been ranting on but i had to tell someone!

Rick
Old 10-25-2003, 08:52 AM
Airborne 2007

Default RE: first flight!

The very same thing happened to me on my first flight with the original AB. Only I was over a corn field instead of a pond and ended up landing it between a barn and 2 silos behind a grove of trees! I learned to respect the wind and not fly till I have more experience.

-John
Old 10-25-2003, 01:22 PM
WacoFlyer

LOL The exact same thing happend to me except it was my 4th flight, and i was flying my firebird commander. All was well for like 5 seconds until a huge gust of wing caught me and threw the plane up at a 90 degree angle and it stalled into the trees. Luckily the tree only scrated the wing, but i was at my local flying field on a crowded saturday so my ego was slightly damaged.[] I learned to never underestimate the wind.[sm=wink.gif]
Old 10-26-2003, 12:12 AM
IrocZ202

lol im glad im not the only one. i took it up this morning first thing before I went to work and completley drained the battery. I was really worried yesterday that the plane was gonna go down in the water. the pond is surrounded by cattails, so i wouldnt even be able to see where it went in the water....Im flying alot better now tho...!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:46 PM
IrocZ202

well i went flying today and ran it into a tree, it fell about 20-30 feet nose first into a concrete pad. the nose bent in but i picked it up and threw it off again! I love this plane!
Old 11-03-2003, 11:23 PM
RC-Captain

well im just glad to say I never went with an aero bird, instead I have the freedom flyer, and for being into RC for three years this plane has truly impressed me time and time again ,,,,,Meltedpixel belongs to this forum , he too started with the aerobird , and then switched to the freedom flyer and he cant stop talking about how happy he is with it ! , guys Im get nothing for telling you about the freedom flyer, accept joy in my RC life .
Old 11-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Hawkhumper

I'm not sure if the same will hold for the aerobird, but with the firebird II if you shim the rear of the wing with a couple folds of an index or business card, you cut the lift a bit and can cut the wind much better. Also, the plane flies faster with the reduced drag.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:03 PM
duck

[size=1][hhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiii/size]
Old 11-11-2003, 12:28 PM
thejc

learn from your experiance and don't give up like most other things it takes time and patience