Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

New to electrics

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 12:15 PM
JWhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to electrics

I've been flying glow burners for about 20 years now and I'm just tired of the noise. I'm trying to get into electrics and maybe a big sailplane. This is new territory for me so I have a few questions. I'm looking for about a 45" semi aerobatic plane preferably in the ARF category and I'm looking for any suggestions. Also what kind of charger and batteries are the best. I was kind of thinking about something like the Great Planes electro Streak but I'm a little worried about the quality of it since its so cheap. Anybody have any experience with it? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:29 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to electrics

If you check out Hobby Lobby they have some really cool electrics (park flyers, sailplanes - both small and high performance) and 3D electrics...I've been looking for a sailplane too myself and there are some cool choices to look at there...they carry several lines that run the gamut.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com

For a charger the Dymond Super Turbo or FMA Supernova are great as they fast charge Nicad and NiMH from 1-26 cells. Only around $110 and it does just about everything.

For batteries either Nicad or Nimh are appropriate but it will really depend on the motor and application you finally decide upon. Once you determine the plane you want (or planes) you can then decide to use a stock motor or hop it up. Depending on those factors and the planes characteristics you might change your battery type, cell number or capacity if it will improve performance more to your liking.

Let us know what you think you might end up getting!
Old 05-05-2002, 01:11 AM
hobbyplace
My Feedback: (1)

Default cheaper site

got to www.greathobbies.com

they have more stock than hobby-lobby

cheaper too its in canadian dollars
Old 05-08-2002, 08:52 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default Electro streak

While the Electro steak is a great plane (I have 2 complete and 2 spare kits) to really get performance out of them you need cobalt motors and 10 cell packs. I have one set up that way that rivals glow performance and one set up with 17 turn rc car motor and 8 cells that does well, but not anywhere near the cobalt.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Bill Germanson
My Feedback: (4)

Default New to electrics

I also have a ElectroStreak (kit). Mine has the Magnetic Mayhem running 8x2400's and it is built lite with dual servos for ailerons. Goes pretty good for a $20 motor. I have another kit on the shelf and have considered the option to go to the cobalt but not sure about the $'s to go there with this kit.

Not sure about the ARF version. Seems that it is about a 50/50 vote in other places that I've seen it discussed. The negative 50% is due to wings and tails falling off .

If I had to do it again I would have probably gone to the Kwik-E from gwmp.net. It's not an ARF but it is laser-cut. Also uses the $20 motor setup with what appears to be very good performance (see the video at (http://gwmp.net/images/video/Kwik-E-1.mpg).

The other possible option is the Aveox EMBAT but it is larger than the EStreak and Kwik-E and recommends the $300+ motor setup but may run less expensive options.

Last thought is to check out the electric forums at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php. It seems to have a lot more participants (many converts also) in the electric side of the hobby where you could get some other thoughts.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:04 AM
JWhite

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I just purchased an electric Chronos pylon racer. It should let me know if I'm going to like electrics or not. And it will keep my reflexes up while I'm flying sailplanes.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:59 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to electrics

I think you will like them...I just got a ProJeti and am having a blast with it myself..it's my first electric in a very long while (15 years or so) and it's a fast cool little wing! I'll have a review on it with details in our upcoming RCU Online Magazine which should be unveiled soon!
Old 05-12-2002, 10:14 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default New to electrics

If you want 3D, try looking at the Gary Wright E3D, very cheap, flys good, go to website and check out the killer videos. The Kwik-E is fast too. http://www.gwmp.net/