Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weekend carnage report: or Ripmax F-16 flies, Pilot don't

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Weekend carnage report: or Ripmax F-16 flies, Pilot don't

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 05:17 PM
jnlong2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend carnage report: or Ripmax F-16 flies, Pilot don't

This weekend the wind was pretty calm, so I figured it was time. First I did some stretching exercises with my Tiger Moth (m100). Then range checked the f-16 and checked the throws.

First toss of the Ripmax f-16 resulted in nothing; I was flying off of a field with a relatively shallow slope. The f-16 flew nice and straight under full power, but would not gain altitude. It just steadily sunk toward the ground. So I killed the engine and tried again.

Second toss of the f-16 again resulted in the same effect; gentle steady sinking toward the ground. However, this time I noticed (just after killing the motor) that it was starting to pick up altitude and speed.

Third toss was magic; the f-16 gradually descended toward the ground. Then about 20 yards out, it started picking up altitude. I pulled back on the elevator and it jumped into the air, quickly, toward a very large walnut tree. That's when I noticed that no matter how far I moved the RUDDER stick , the plane wouldn't turn! It ran out of upwards momentum around the top of the tree (about 100 feet up), then in jet like fashion, edged over and soared straight down.

That's when I realized I was trying to fly the thing with Rudder only (ala Tiger Moth). But it was too late. :drowning: Before I could command my thumb to hit the elevator and pull out, the f-16 had already hit the ground.

I hate that noise. You know the one that sounds like someone jumping on a Styrofoam egg carton. All I saw was the canopy flying into the air. The jet had "landed” on the point of its nose. Nothing rear of the cockpit was even nicked. The nose from the wing saddle out was compressed from 10 inches to about 2. :cry:

What really made me mad is that I've done this exact thing before with a new P-51, aileron/elevator only plane. My personal air force contains everything from trainers to war birds, all of which operate with both rudder and aileron. But that aileron only thing just keeps coming back to bite me.

I suppose the point of my report is that from the 5 seconds that the Ripmax F-16 was able, it actually flew. Not only that, but it tracked very nicely using the manufacturers recommended CG and obviously no aileron input! The only modification I would make to my configuration is to use 8 cells for a shorter take off glide. With 7 cells it still flies but you really need a good slope to allow it to pick up its initial flight speed.

BTW: I emailed the U.S. distributor to see if they sold a replacement fuse and they said no. So if I decide to try again, I’ll have to cough up another $60.

Jeff Long
Old 05-07-2002, 01:29 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weekend carnage report: or Ripmax F-16 flies, Pilot don't

Ive got a tip for you, Mix the rudder to the aileron stick, and vice versa for other planes,

On my Tiger Moth, I have the aileron AND the rudder sticks running the rudder, so I can fly with either, usually use the rudder stick on take off, as per usual airplane, then in air use aileron stick, as per usual airplane