Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

A newbie's list of queries

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 04:24 AM
Balsa Rain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newbie's list of queries

I've been flying glow for a while (Dazzler/46fx) and looking at E power if I could find something aerobatic and swift.
At a swap meet I picked up the following stuff, could you folks get me going in the right direction with it?
1. Electrostreak (used)
2. stock motor 550(?)
3. Castle Creations 25A ESC for brush motor (MIP)
4. GWS pico receiver w/ crystal
5. GWS pico servos

From reading other threads here its plain that the ES sucks with the stock motor.
It is also understood that it will scream with a whiz-bang brushless and matching ESC, but I can't go there money-wise.

1. I'd like to find a decent performance boost for this beauty if it could be done cheaply.
In another thread, someone gave a recommendation of the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem, another said the Atomic Force.
2. Help me figure which would be best? I can afford one of these, but which one?

3. Will the ESC I have be of any help, or do I need to get a new one of these? If so, please tell me which one?

4. Are the pico servos capable of handling this plane? I put a GWS "micro" (bigger than the pico) on the Ailerons.

5. On a seperate subject: I have a bunch of 1700~2100mah "AA" batteries which I use in digital cameras. I am considering building 6 or7 cell packs with these for e-flight but I've noticed that no-one is doing this even though these are plentiful, cheap and rated as high as 2100. Is this because these are limited in current-rate? Can 20amps be had from these?

Thanks for indulging me!

Ricky
Old 11-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: A newbie's list of queries

Okay, heeeeeeere we go!

1 & 2. Check out http://www.gwmp.net for the Kwik-E. IIRC Gary uses the Endoplasma on 6 cells with a 6x6 prop to make a pretty hot little number. FWIW, I think it's fairly similar to the Electrostreak in power requirements. The Magnetic Mayhem should give you similar performance, if you've got one already.

3. You can get rough ideas of how much current a given motor/prop/battery combo will draw using P-Calc at http://www.flydma.com or the demo version of Motocalc from http://www.motocalc.com. Motocalc includes a "project" for the Electrostreak, if I'm not mistaken.

But anyway, that ESC might not be quite enough for a hotter setup. It would be okay for the stock motor, but you'll be drawing upwards of 40 Amps with one of the aforementioned Kyosho Mad Science motors. Any ESC with a peak current rating of 40 Amps or more will do. Castle makes at least one model that will suit your needs, or you can pretty much close your eyes and point to make a decision

4. I wanted to talk to you about the radio gear. You'll be better off with micro servos in the plane all around. Picos shouldn't be used in planes much heavier than about 10oz, little park fliers. You should save them, and the pico receiver, for a small, slow park flier. You'll be able to easily exceed the range of that receiver with the Electrostreak, especially at the speed I'm anticipating.

5. You hit the nail squarely on the head! Capacity is not everything when it comes to cells and electric flight. Most AA cells are meant for low-current applications, like digital cameras and kid's toys. When they manufacture them, they pack as much capacity into them as possible, as cheaply as possible. Historically, they simply have not performed well at high discharge rates.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Balsa Rain

Default Follow-up

I have not flown yet, but getting closer. I have removed the GWS Pico stuff; I have installed HiTec HS81 servos and I'm going to use a HiTec "Feather" receiver (Tower site says 1000ft range).

I'm going to stay with the stock motor for now, at least to see how it'll fly before I get too much more (money) into it. I timed the motor and it sounds alot better[8D], gained about 500 rpm, amps unchanged.

Picked up a battery pack that's probably too damn big, its a 6 cell sub-c NiMH 3000mah. I don't know the weight. Do you think any all of this stuff will work in this plane, or do I need to change it again?[]
Old 11-14-2003, 07:46 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Follow-up

The Feather is worse than the GWS Pico it replaced. 1000ft range is not all that much, and the Feather is notorious for being glitchy. Definitely not a receiver you want in a fast plane that can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time.

Save the tiny receivers for park fliers that don't get more than a couple hundred feet out before you can't see them anymore. Get yourself a good dual-conversion receiver like the Hitec 555 or Electron, or a "full range" single conversion receiver like the Hitec HFS-04MG or a Berg.

Edited to add:

The 6-cell 3000mAh pack is fine. That's what the plane was designed to carry. If you want to save some weight at the cost of run time, try a pack of CP1700 NiCds or HR4/5FAUP NiMHs.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Balsa Rain

Default RE: New Orleans

I appreciate the info. The receiver choice was based on what was readily available from the LHS here. I'm on a business trip in New Orleans and I'm leary of ordering things and having them shipped to hotels; that only rarely works(!) Anyway, no-one here seems to have any receivers on hand except for GWS crap and an even shorter range Futaba (R114F-650'). I'm still looking but, I may just have to wait until I get home before flying this one. I travel with the dazzler, so I have somthing to fly....I am anxious to try the 'streak, tho! If I get really desperate, I'll pull the receiver out of the Dazzler.

Thanks, Ricky

P.S. If the Feather actually had 1000' of stable range, that would be plenty....this plane is very tiny cross-section and I can guarantee you that when this bird is edge-ways, my middle-aged eyes would be out of range before the radio! I know it's fast, but I can keep it in close enough!
Old 11-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Balsa Rain

Default RE: New Orleans

Following up again:
I'm back home now, but too busy for flying. I haven't flown the ES yet, but managed to fry the ESC while futzing around with it indoors[]

Anyway, I've replaced the Rx with a Futaba 127DP. I purchased an Astro 217D ESC on Ebay and (on a whim because I know not what I'm doing) also bought a "Peak Jaguar 11T Mod Motor"
The questions now: Should I even bother with the Jaguar, or leave it alone?
Should i get a gearbox? Which one?
I'm even considering a (used) astro cobalt 15...would this fly the streak...without a gearbox?
Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Balsa Rain

Default eBay illness

I keep getting deeper! Being an eBay addict is trouble! Now I've purchased a Astro Cobalt 15 geared motor...somebody stop me! I'm guessing that this is way more motor than this plane can use, but what the heck, eh? The gearbox is offset, of course, so I don't know if it will even mount in the streak...anyone have any experience with this combo? Will I be able to use the 3000 six-cell pack, or do I need to use 10-12 cells with this motor?

Will this motor really fly a .40 glow plane?

Ricky