Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

MAN News Cub Plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Bruiser
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAN News Cub Plans

Let me start by saying I do not have an electric airplane but I have been interested in something I can take out in the front yard and kill time with.

I just got the latest issue of MAN and there is a plan for a 22 inch span Cub. It says to use a DJ Aerotech MPS-1A motor and all this equipment from companies I have never even heard of.

Then they say if you blow the plan up 167% to 36 inches to use a GWS IPS "A" drive with a GWS 9 x 7 prop.

I was wondering what these systems would be equivelant to in the Great Planes line-up?

Also, I was thinking the 36" might to large to fly out front. I thought maybe a 30" span might work well. What do you all think? Would this be about the right size for one of the Great Planes 280 motor systems?

Thanks for reading the post and for your input,
-Bob George
Old 11-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: MAN News Cub Plans

Welcome to the wonderful world of electric flight.

Unfortunately, Great Planes does not have anything that compares to the GWS IPS DX-A drive or the DJ Aerotech MPS-1A drive. Their 280 drives are much larger, and more importantly heavier, than either of those options. If you ever get to see a DJ Aerotech Roadkill plane, they're absolutely tiny! The motor is about as large as a fingernail.

Don't be afraid to explore the world of R/C outside of Tower Hobbies. There's lots of good stuff to be had at great prices, stuff that you simply cannot buy from a Great Planes dealer. Most local hobby shops are also Horizon Hobby/Hangar 9 dealers too, and can get you the GWS IPS drive.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Bruiser

I had forgotten that Horizon carried the GWS stuff. I just like to get as much of my supplies as possible from one place. Shipping is too expensive to order an engine from here, batteries form there, the kit from another place and then the super dooper 5 channel receiver from Joe's park flyer reciever specialty place... That's why I was hoping to just get it from one place--besides, it's easier.

-Bob George
Old 11-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

By your tone, I'd guess you probably don't have a decent local hobby shop in the area... Bummer.

When you get into electrics, you're going to run into many more specialty shops that are the only ones that sell that one crucial specialty part you need... Like that DJ Aerotech drive. DJ Aerotech is the only place that sells it.

The IPS drive is more widely available. Horizon dealers aren't the only ones that sell it. Many parkflyer dealers like www.aeromicro.com, www.toddsmodels.com, www.officeshops.com, www.balsapr.com, www.maxxproducts.com and many others have IPS/DX/DC (all essentially the same) drives at reasonable prices with reasonable shipping charges. Most of them have good prices on many of the other little doodads that you'd need to finish the plane. The ones that don't have good prices on the little doodads don't have the little doodads
Old 11-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Bruiser

Matt,

You are right that there are no good hobby shops in the local area. I met the owner of a shop in Albuquerque that is into electrics this past weekend, but Alb. is about 180 miles away.

Maybe you can suggest a combo to me? What I am thinking about is a small airplane that I can fly around in a ball field. I want a scale airplane. I don't want something that is more toy-like then model aircraft like. I don't want foam. I don't think I should start with something too extreme--manuverability or heavy, but I don't need a trainer either.

I had been thinking of the Wattage Super Decathlon, but then I read that it is very manuverable which made me think it might be too much? Then the plans came out in MAN and I thought a Cub should be good, but I guess I can't use a regular old 380 class motor in it like I could in the Wattage Decathlon.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money as I just don't know if I will like flying electric or not.

Any ideas?
-Bob
Old 12-09-2003, 11:14 PM
j3cubflyer

I built the J3 Cub from the plans in the 75th Anniversary issue of Model Airplane News.
Today was the test flight, it is a great flying plane just like a cub. I had the plans inlarged to 1.67 times as per the plan. The wing span ends up at 36.75". The drive is a GWS IPS "A" drive with a GWS 9x7 prop. I am using a GWS R4P receiver and a GWS 100 ESC. Two Hitec 55 micro servos are installed for rudder and elevator. The battery is a 2 cell, 1600 mah LI-poly. The plane is covered with Litespan and the total weight is 8.5 oz. I am a Cub Lover and just had to have another Cub, this makes a total of fourteen to date. Small electric up to one third scale. I will add pictures soon.

j3cubflyer
Old 12-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Hanger-Flyer

Avoid the Decathlon. It is a very difficult plane to fly. As a "park" flyer, you would need say...all of Yellowstone Park to have enough room to fly that model! I had one, and flew it a few times, and it never settled down enough to be a satisfactory plane. Check around others will agree that it's a challenge.

Looking for a good yard flyer? I really like my Mountain Models "Dandy". I'm running lithium poly batteries and a brushless Jeti motor in mine and it's a very good slow flyer for tight areas but will thrill on demand. Well worth the $42.00 dollar price. It's a balsa kit and a good one. The stock plane is also very good. The kit sets the standard for quality and ease of building.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:44 PM
j3cubflyer

Picture of my J3 Cub from MAN
Click on gallery below for picture
Old 12-16-2003, 12:22 PM
DFalpha
My Feedback: (3)

hey I built the wings off the plane from the 75th aniversery MAN but I enlarged them 200 % gonna be covering em