Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

What Plane Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 05:20 PM
thatchf137

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Plane Should I Get?

Hey, I am relatively new to flying; i have some experiance on my friend's GWS Pico. I'm sure you've answered this question hundreds of times before but what plane would you recommend. I am interested in a park flyer that is somewhat slow and stable but also can be used for simple aerobatics. I want to get a plane that has ailerons but i don't want to get something that is extremely sensitive that i cant control. I am looking at the GWS Funny Park, which i like because it is relatively cheep and from what i can tell, has what i am looking for. If you have any ideas about what planes i should get (and planes to avoid) i would appreciate your help.
Thatcher
Old 11-30-2003, 08:35 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: What Plane Should I Get?

If you are looking for an electric park flyer with ailerons consider

SKY SCOOTER PRO II

You can get it as an ARF or as a RTF package with a 72 MHZ Hitec 3 channel
radio for about $160. Has ailerons and elevator control with full throttle control. No rudder.

Well worth your consideration.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/Pro2.htm
Videos
http://www.hitecrcd.com/Funtec/videos.htm

The GWS e-starter might also be a good plane to consider
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=GWS1045

This should be flown with a 4 channel radio.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:40 AM
john 8750

GWS Slow stick.

Two cents from John Smith
Old 12-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Check out the "Top" thread in Electric Training.

You might want to save the Funny Park for later, when you're more experienced. It may look like a toy plane, but it's quite a handful.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:24 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Check out the "Top" thread in Electric Training.

You might want to save the Funny Park for later, when you're more experienced. It may look like a toy plane, but it's quite a handful.
Matt makes a good point. A low or mid wing plane is not usually a good trainer/first plane. They tend to be more unstable, which makes them more aerobatic, but harder for a new flyer to handle. High wing planes tend to be more self correcting. You can learn and practice many aerobatic routines, but these planes are less likely to get away from you.

Since the weight is below the wing, like the Aerobird, like the Sky Scooter, like the e-starter, they will tend to return to a level upright flying attitude more easily and sometimes even on their own.

If all you have flown is a pico stick, stay with a high wing plane for your first plane.

This may help guide you.

Have you flown at least 50 flights on the Pico Stick?
Are you so confident with it in all wind conditions that crashing is not even a concern?
Are your landings smooth and controlled?
Can you put it down pretty much where you want it?
Can you loop, tail stall, and perform other rudder/elevator stunts with it with confidence?

If the answer is yes, you are ready for the next level and you MIGHT be ready for a mid wing aileron plane. However if you are not very accomplished with the Pico stick, then the e-starter, or the the Sky Scooter as aileron planes should take you to the next level without putting you in a position to fail and become frustrated. If you are not at all accomplished in these areas, I would suggest you get a slow stick, a pico stick, an Aerobird, a t-hawk, or similar plane and work it do death till you can fly it in your sleep.

You are looking for your first plane essentially. These are good choices. I like the aerobird myself. That is what I started on. Low cost, stable, rugged but can perform a wide range of R/E stunts. It is faster than the pico stick and larger so you can see it further out.

Another consideration. How big is your field? If you have a small to medium sided field, say under 600X600, stay with the slow flyers for your next step. Even an Aerobird or a Sky Scooter, at full speed, can eat up 600X600 pretty fast if you are still pretty new.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:57 PM
thatchf137

Thanks a lot everyone for your help. I posted a thread at www.rcgroups.com with the same question and I got a lot of support for a Mountain Models Dandy Sport. I was wondering if anyone has any input about that plane. I have been pretty much sold on it from what they have told me and if I am making a mistake I would really like to hear about it instead of smashing the money into the ground the first time I get it in the air.

Thanks again,
Thatcher
Old 12-01-2003, 07:04 PM
aeajr

Read my post, above yours. Answer your own question. Are you ready for it?
Old 12-01-2003, 07:37 PM
DFalpha
My Feedback: (3)

hey get an Aerobird chalanger!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 09:18 PM
thatchf137

Everyone thanks for everything. Even though from what I can see the dandy sport is an awsome plane, I should go with a foamie to learn on. I just think the Dandy will be to fast and agile for me at this point.

I have pretty much decided on the E-Starter. Then, when I can fly it with my eyes closed I am gonna buy that Dandy. Even with the foam wing I think it would be foolish to get it as a first plane. But like I said, it is deffinately number 2.

Thanks alot for all your help and when I get it in the air I'll tell you how it goes. Speaking of which, what do you do in the winter? I've seen pics on peoples' threads with skis but is that a smart thing to do?

Anyway thanks a lot.

Thatcher
Old 12-01-2003, 11:42 PM
aeajr

If you have a place to fly in the winter, why not fly? With electrics you just keep the batteries warm in your pocket, otherwise they tend to lose some of their power.

Skies? Sure, why not?

With the e-starter, you will probably hand launch. I don't know if it can be flown without the landing gear. I fly the Aerobird without the landing gear and belly land it. Not sure if the e-starter would like that or not, but it is so light that if you learn to "float it in" it will be landing so slow, it should not be a problem on grass or on snow. Howver, if you want skies, I am sure someone must have skies for it.

One of hthe main problems we have in NY is that it can be pretty windy. As a new pilot you want to avoid wind at all cost.

Make your first flighs with 5 MPH or less wind. More than that and you will be fighting the wind, not flying the plane. Once you are more accomplished with it, the e-starter may be able to handle more wind. I don't know what its recommended wind speed tollerance is.

Most of my crashes in the begining were due to flying in too much wind.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:03 AM
zagibond

Ditto, foamie electrics are very light and can be a handfull in the wind. My vote would be for the Slow Stick. Keep the CG forward and you will be OK. It is prone to break props if you land badly. The Sky Scooter is pretty hardy, a bit faster and not as forgiving. The folding prop is pretty cool but can still break. It is designed to land on its belly though. Watch out for getting the receiver wet on both planes.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

DuBro makes park flier skis for smaller ~10oz and up airplanes. They show them on a GWS Beaver in the ads, so they're perfect for the E-Starter, which is about the same size.

If you've got some simulator time under your belt, the E-Starter is a good place to start. It handles more wind than the Slow Stick, IMHO. You can belly land it with no gear, but make sure to rebalance it after removing the landing gear. The gear's weight is all in front of the recommended center of gravity, and removing it might make the plane tail heavy.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:52 PM
thatchf137

Thanks, I have a sim that i used to fly a lot but when I got a new computer it didnt have a serial port that fit the radio so I haven't used it recently (maybe i should look for a USB adaptor). I also like to think I have a quick learning curve with this kind of stuff so I feel pretty confident about the E-starter. Thanks for the info about the skis also, I'll check those out. Also, I am relatively new to this so I haven't picked up all the lingo, whats CG?
Thatcher
Old 12-02-2003, 07:17 PM
aeajr

CG = Center of Gravity. It is the balance point on the plane. When you read the instructions for assembly of a kit or an ARF, they will tell you where the recommended CG is located. Most RTFs come already balanced, but not all. YOu have to read the manual.

Commonly it is 25-35% back from the front of the wing.

If you get the CG too far back, the plane will be extremely responseive but hard to control Good for many kinds of Aerobatics, but bad for a beginner.

If you get the CG too far forward, the plane will be more stable, but may have trouble keeping its nose up so you will have to fly it faster to keep it flying. It will alos be harder for it to get up to speed on launch.

For a beginner, a little too nose heavy is typically better than a little too tail heavy.

This site may be of interest:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...TOKEN=22972185
Old 01-01-2004, 07:40 PM
thatchf137

Hey,

I just got my E-Starter a few days ago. It looks great. Maybe I'll put some pictures up soon. I haven't flown it yet but I'm trying to get it in the air ASAP.

Thanks for all of your help, I am very happy with it. maybe pics soon.

Thatcher
Old 01-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

Most of the new laptops do not come with a serial port. In order to use a serial port with these systems, you can buy a port replicator from Targus or Belkin.

I had to get one for my system.

Hope this helps you get ypur sim working again.

best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 01-01-2004, 08:54 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: thatchf137

Hey,

I just got my E-Starter a few days ago. It looks great. Maybe I'll put some pictures up soon. I haven't flown it yet but I'm trying to get it in the air ASAP.

Thanks for all of your help, I am very happy with it. maybe pics soon.

Thatcher
Here are some first flight suggestions:

I know you know all this, but for those reading who do not:

Respect the wind - Dead calm to 2 MPH is perfect. No more than 5 MPH for
early/training flights or you will be fighting the wind, not flying the plane.
(guess how I know)

1) Make sure no one is on your channel BEFORE you turn on your radio

2) Do a range check before the first launch of the day

3) Make sure that battery is fully charged just before the launch. Not 3 days
ago. Not last week. Today!

4) Make sure all your surfaces move properly before you launch. - Check the
trims to be sure you have not bumped on out of position (guess how I know)

5) Always launch and land into the wind (Oh yea, this one too)

6) For hand launches - good firm throw level or only very slightly up. Never
throw the plane upward - Full throttle!

7) Let it fly out and gain speed. It will drop a bit, that is OK. It must
get up to speed before applying elevator. Apply the elevator too soon and you
will "stall" the wing, the nose will drop and you will crash. (Yep! been
there, done that!)

If this is your first first flight.

Launch, fly out 100 feet or so then land - avoid turns. Do this a few times
till you understand how the plane launches and lands. Then you can go for
climbs and turns.

I fly electrics and gliders. With my gliders, I ALWAYS do a test glide,
straight out first, before launching off the hi-start or the winch. This
confirms that the plane is balanced and everything works right.

This is also a good idea for electrics that straight out launch, under power, then land.
Saves much damage and embarrassment.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:06 PM
thatchf137

here are a few pics....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83185.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	87365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12245.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	87366  
Old 01-03-2004, 05:25 PM
ricktkenny

Just my thoughts,

I started flying in september 2003 and had never flown before, I got a RTF kit and just tried it on my own, 10 mins later my money was in pieces, One of my mates said get a zagi and I looked it up on the web and thought it looked fun. So I bought one. I have to say that its the best thing I did. It bounces and gives you the confidence to learn. I then joined a club and passed my solo test on the day I joined before they would let me fly. I have to put it all down to the Zagi, I have crashed so many times it's unreal.

Check my page for videos and be sure to look at the rebuild section, This is the same plane and it is me flying.

PS JOIN A CLUB

www.zagi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

regards

Rick
Old 01-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Ozprey

That E-starter look really good. i am learing on my homebuilt plane , a park stepp(small home made park flyer, all wood), an OZprey(a Glider that one of my instructors designs and builds the Fiber Glass Fuses) and a tiny little 11 oz glider that goes without a name.here is a link to the plan of my trainer: [link=http://Alphabet]http://www.aefa.asn.au/Alphabet1.jpg[/link] go to this page for scaling instructions[ul]http://www.aefa.asn.au/speedfour.html