Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Great Planes' Piper J-3 ElectriCub

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Great Planes' Piper J-3 ElectriCub

Old 12-16-2003, 08:56 PM
WacoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes' Piper J-3 ElectriCub

Doses anyone have any experience with this model? I've been looking for a way to move into scale electrics and the Great Planes Piper J-3 ElectriCub looked nice for a scale electric[sm=tongue.gif]. Also The ezone gave it a good review on http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=198&id=3723. Any advice on this model is great
Old 12-17-2003, 08:18 PM
mackey1
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Great Planes' Piper J-3 ElectriCub

Hi,
I bought a electric cub kit but after reading that the Goldfire 550 was marginal for the A/C weight, I put a gas .25 in it. Some people advised me to get a "Magnetic Mayhem" motor. I'm not familiar with that motor. I would suggest that the kit is pretty good but you may want to buy the basic kit without motor and then ask around about what motor / prop combo would work for that weight. Hope it helps.

I also put ailerons on my cub.

Bill
Old 12-21-2003, 12:16 PM
WacoFlyer

Are we talking about the same cub? Because the GP cub im talking about came standard with the ailerons. Just wondering
Old 12-21-2003, 02:39 PM
pikebishop

the great planes geardrive coupled to a magnetic mayhem turning an 11/7 apc e has plenty of power to rog. 2000 mah nicad 7 cell ten min. flights at half throttle following climb out. your milage may vary. the wing on mine was pretty flimsy and if I had it to do again I would have sheeted a little more than the plans call for. mine only weighed 3.25 lbs built very lightly and an extra oz. in the wing would have been worth it.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Larry Costa

Let me add to the confusion...
I bought a GP E-Cub when they first came out. It was a great flyer, ROG in 15 feet or less, good climb out, 20 minute flights...

With an OS 15 on the nose that is!

With the supplied E-equipment it sucked! And I wasn't a total virgin to E-power at the time as I had been flying a Goldberg Electra for a couple of years before I bought the Cub.

I hope that they have improved the supplied motor etc, if not I would dump that junk and install something with enough power so you could actually fly the darn thing. I have wondered how many pilots were turned off of E-Power thanks to the GP E-Cub.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:04 PM
pikebishop

with the magnetic mayhem and geardrive I thought the cub was much more powerful than scale. it would climb out pretty steep at full power when running a freshly charged pack. I always heard the older direct drive barely flew though.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Odd. I sold an old stock E-Cub last year to someone who reported back that the plane flew beautifully. Plenty of power to fly scale-like. Then again, the plane came with a 7-cell pack. That 7th cell increases power by something like 25%.

Unfortunately, I never got a shot at flying it. It belonged to a club member who passed away, and he willed his R/C estate to the club.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Larry Costa

7-cell...

that explains it... When I bought mine (before I understood e-power) the instructions said to use a 6-cell pack. A 7 cell would have (at least) gotten it off the ground.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had one that I flew with the stock direct drive modified car motor on 6 cells. It would barley get off the ground. I then put an O.S. .10 in the nose and flew it for 3 years. Wel I scratch built one from the orginal plane and put a Magnetic Mayhem reverse with the gd600 gear bow and a 3.5:1 pinion gear turning a 12X6 APC "E" prop powered by 8 2400 mah nicd's. It will rocket of the ground on full throttle. I just cruise around at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. The performance of the $35.00 is so far above the old Gold Fire direct drive you will think it is a aerobatic screamer instead of a Cub.

If you go to Tower's web site and do a search on the gd600 and the magnetic mayhem you will see that this setup will not break the bank. I am not sure how long the flights are, but they are long enough for me.

Dru.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:37 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blvdbuzzard,
I agree with you about the reverse rotation Mag. Mayhem and the Master Airscrew gearbox. I have put this combo on many Clancy Aviation Lazy Bees and Speedy Bees. I have used from the CP-1700 cells up to the 3000 nims. The ten cell CP-1700s are very light with a high amperage discharge. I use them quite a bit in my Speedy Bee because of their light weight. I have a Lazy Bee with a Super Bee wing that I use the 2400 to 3000 miliamp by ten cells in. The wing is 52 inches which is close to your Cub. You should have similar results. I have since replaced the Magnetic Mahem/ Master airscrew gearbox for an Astro 05 cobalt with gearbox. I can stay in the air for over twelve minutes with the 3000 in eight cell config with lots of sport stunts....throttle managemnt will give you a longer flight time. On a warm day with thermals over the swamps....I throw in the CP-1700s and stay aloft for over twenty minutes. What I like to do is full throttle on take off....once at a decent speed, throttle back down to half....rolls and loop will take more power. But sometimes a nice relaxing flight and staying up longer than the glow guys is a breath of fresh air. I like when they come over and see that I have no brushless motor or Li-polies....just "old school-inexpensive" fun!

Dave

[link=http://home.att.net/~imsofaman/dave_surace_rc_homepage.htm]Dave Surace RC Homepage[/link]
Old 12-25-2003, 11:09 AM
blvdbuzzard

I don't think there is a better motor gear box combo for any where near the priice of the Magnetic Mayhem (r) or even an Endo. You will have to retime the Endo but that is easy. I have looked at a brushless setup but just can not justify the cost when I have tis setup right now. I am also using it in a Sureflite foam Cub and have a good time just cruising around with it.

Dru.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:09 PM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Do you have a link to the Sure flight foam Cub? I know some guys that would interested. Thanks!!!!

Dave
Old 01-11-2004, 07:54 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

I had the older 3 channel version a few years back it flew fine when I used a gearbox and 8 cells. The trouble is in the wing which is very flimsy. I used Monocote cub yellow covering which is too heavy for the wing and warped the left wing panel. Didn't notice it until I crashed it. I may try the new version with aelerons or even the .20 size Cub which may have a sturdier wing and better scale look. The Magnetic Mayhem with a 2.5:1 box and 8 cells will turn a 10X7 prop at about 25 amps. Any past that will shorten the life of the brushes.
This would be a good plane to try one of the Axi motors on. I will have to check Ecalc for performance. jollyroger
Old 01-12-2004, 12:03 AM
john 8750

ORIGINAL: imsofaman

Do you have a link to the Sure flight foam Cub? I know some guys that would interested. Thanks!!!!

Dave

Does Sure Flight still make the cub, or the other styro kits?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:00 AM
blvdbuzzard

Sureflite is changing owners so they may or may not have any.

Here is the link to mine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Sure...1392599/tm.htm

I have burned up the gears in the Master Air screw gear box so I am going to get a Superbox so I can try some better gearing. I have heard that if I go with 5.5, 6, or 6.5 to one ad run a 14X6,7,8 prop I can get almost 60oz of thrust with a 10 cell battery. I will still be pulling almost 40 amps.

Dru.

P.S. I know that Dymond Model SPorts in San Diego had a few of the Sureflite kits on hand. They may have one.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:19 AM
jwhonders

My electricub is running on the great planes T-600R reverse rotation motor, with the GP 2,5:1 gear drive
power by 8 cell 3300mAh NiMh
it has power to spare, flies beautifully but it is a quite sensitive to wind
maybe it is a good idea to chose a different gearbox 'cause the prop shaft is of made of really soft aluminium

I had put the motor in a fokker D-8, when i took off my wing came off at about 1 foot of the ground.
the plane landed on the prop and the shaft was so bent that I decided to make a new one myself.
The crash was funny to watch though.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
jstrach

The Great Planes T-600R motor seems to be of low quality. I've had issues with two of them in a row. Is there a higher quality equivalent motor that will fit the default engine mount? The T-600R goes for $13 at Tower Hobbies... I'm thinking this motor is just cheap crap. Any insights or recommendations for something a little more higher end?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42598.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1570813  
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
blvdbuzzard

Wow, this old thread has risen from the ashes of time.

It is sort of funny though. I have been looking at building a new one and running a brushless motor on it.

With that said, I would not use a gear box or the old brushed 05 motors. I would change the motor mount and go with a nice brushless motor with a lipo battery.

This is what I am looking at. [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-25c.html]battery[/link] [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpower-101100kvbrushless-motor.html]motor1[/link] [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpower-15950kvbrushless-motor.html]motor2[/link] and the [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/volcano-40a-brushless-electric-motor-speed-controller-esc.html]ESC[/link]

I am leaning towards the monster power 10. The Cub is very lite and it is not a speed demon, just a nice cruiser.

The brushless motor may fit the stock mount, hard to tell from the picture.

Buzz.