Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help... Whats the correct disharge rate????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help... Whats the correct disharge rate????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 02:08 PM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... Whats the correct disharge rate????

Sorry about this chaps but I've tried posting this in the battery forum without any success.
Maybe you people that accually USE batteries instead of just DISCUSSING them can give me the answer.
Here's the (simple) question.

I have a charger/discarger and need to know at what rate should I discharge say a 1600mAh flight pack or any battery for that matter?
What are the rules here, discharge at 10% the battery capasity, 20%... whats the deals guys?
Need answer fast as poss'.
Cheers in advance.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:28 PM
jim2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help... Whats the correct disharge rate????

HI: If they are NIMH Max is 1C or for you 1.6 amps, if NICAD 2C OR 3.2 Amps. I discharge mine at 1/2 C in your case .8 Amp.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:52 AM
revier

Hi: The overnight rate (slow rate) would be rate of battery (1600)divided by 10 or 160mah for charging. The trickle charge rate (maintenance) would be 1600 divided by 50 or about 30mah. For a fast charge multiply the battery mah by 3 or the 3C rate =4.8 amps which would take about 20 min to charge. This applies to nicads only. NIMH would be 2C rate at the most. I have a small book of opinions on how to charge our batteries by many authors. Lots of ideas. Some good some not as good. The figures above apply to a battery pack in use. If new charge at a smaller rate. As for discharge. MRC corp suggests 2 amps for an 8 cell pack or 2.5 for a 7 cell pack.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

In most cases, the maximum discharge rate your charger/discharger is capable of does not come anywhere near the load the airplane puts on the batteries. You can usually safely discharge using the maximum setting.

There are no real rules of thumb regarding discharge rates, except to make sure you don't exceed the maximum discharge rate the battery is capable of. You only need to worry about this with tiny park flier batteries, though.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Jerry Ledford
My Feedback: (15)

Hi, I have always tried to keep things simple. I made up a battery dumper with six 12v tail light bulbs with a connector to match the battery. I let it burn untill the bulbs are very dim. Also if you have a spare motor,hook it up till it almost stops. works for me.I,ve been flying electric for 12 years and no real battery problems.Don't let all the specs scare you. Run your battery down,let it cool and charge it.
Keep it simple and fun, Jerry