Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Dandy sport flight report

Old 01-11-2004, 09:04 PM
shams42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dandy sport flight report

I put 10+ flights on my Dandy Sport today. It was quite nice outside except for some gusting winds out of the south. I was flying in front of a large elementary school with a large, grassy lawn in front. Wind speed ranged from 8-15 mph.

This plane is spectacular. I brought 4 packs with me... a 2s1p 1500 mAh LiPoly, 2 8-cell KAN 650's, and the 8-cell 720 mAh AAA pack that Mountain Models sells to go with the plane.

I am using an 8x6 APC prop with the NiMH packs and a 9x7 prop with the LiPoly. I got about 8.5 minute flights off the KANs, 9.5 minute flights with the AAA pack, and 20+ minute flights with the LiPoly pack.

I was having two problems with the plane. I was having to give the plane a whole lot of right aileron trim to maintain level flight. Well, turns out I hadn't been centering the wing on the fuselage. Duh! Now the plane needs only about 2 clicks of aileron trim and 2 clicks of up elevator to fly like an arrow.

The other problem was that the plane was dragging its tail through the sky like it was always on the verge of stalling. That was a prop issue. The prop that Doug recommends for the plane (10x8) worked well with the old EPS 300C motors, but it is too much with the newer 350C's. With NiMH cells, you'll burn up the motor in no time with a prop that big. On the more sedate LiPoly's the huge current demand results in a voltage drop that causes the plane to fly very slowly.

Using MotorCalc, I finally determined that a 9x7 prop would work best with the LiPoly. Does it ever! This simple switch made the plane fly 10x better. There is a little less thrust, but gobs more airspeed. I flew it in this configuration yesterday and was amazed at the difference.

On the NiMH packs, the 9x7 draws too much current for the motor to last very long. I tried it anyway and discovered that there isn't really any performance gain over the 8x6 prop that is ideal for this setup. I don't know if this is due to voltage drop, or if it is because the APC 8x6 prop is so much more efficient than the GWS slowfly props. I'm going to try an APC 9x7 when I get a chance and see how that does.

Performance is slightly better with the NiMH packs and the 8x6 prop than the LiPoly with the 9x7. The difference is very slight, however. On a less windy day, I might not have even noticed it.

Flying the plane was spectacular. On low rates, the plane is still very responsive yet gentle and correcting. It will come in so slowly that you can't believe it... maybe 5 mph. Half the speed of an Aerobird landing, if not slower. Yet unlike the Aerobird, it's easy to get this plane to lose altitude on approach.

Takeoffs at full throttle take about 10 feet. Hand launching works better unless you are on a field with very short grass. Hand launches are so easy and painless compared to the Aerobird... it almost flies out of your hand. Climbouts are steep... 50-60 degrees on a fresh pack, 45 degrees when the pack is getting low. Level flight is easy to maintain at 60-70% throttle.

Acrobatics are very possible even on low rates. Loops are about 6-7 feet in diameter. Outside loops are quite possible. Aileron rolls happen at about 1 every 2 seconds and can maintain altitude if you give the plane some down elevator while upside down.

I have aileron to rudder mixing setup on a programmable mix so that I can turn it on and off with a switch on my radio. I really don't think you need it with this plane. I have never noticed adverse yaw even when using ailerons and elevator only to turn. I usually leave this mix turned off, as I am trying to train myself to make coordinated turns even though I don't "have" to with this plane.

On high rates, I have about -40% exponential added. This makes the controls only slightly "hotter" than low rates around the center of the sticks. On high rates, the plane is extremely acrobatic. Loops can be done in about a 5-foot diamter. Rolls happen at about 1-1.5 per second. Outside loops are easy. Even better, you have gobs more control as the plane approaches a stall. One of my favorite things to do is to head straight up and cut back to about 50% throttle until the plane is almost stopped, then hit 100% throttle + full up elevator + full right aileron. This makes the plane do a really cool looking tumble that terminates in level flight. I was unable to get any sort of knife edge out of it (not that I expected to, but it was fun to try!) Nor was I able to get the plane to do a snap roll. This is good, because trainers are not supposed to snap! Inverted flight is easier on low rates. It's a little tough to maintain with this airfoil, but it can definitely be done. Given sufficient airspeed, full down elevator will make the plane half outside loop to level flight from the inverted position. On high rates, this can be done from just about any airspeed.

I chased a buzzard out of my flight area today. I got REALLY close to him. Closer than I intended, actually. Later on, he came back and tried to attack my plane! It was quite scary for a moment. I came in to land to change batteries, as it was time to do this anyway. The buzzard circled around at low altitude for a few minutes to make sure that this new intruder wouldn't challenge him anymore, then flew off.

I was at the field for over three hours today having a ball flying my Dandy Sport. I can't recommend this plane enough. It is a good, stable trainer that is acrobatic enough to be exciting. Mountain Models offers an optional symmetical wing for this plane to make it even more acrobatic. I know that I'll be ordering one of these after I get some more flights on my dandy sport.

If you can fly an Aerobird or slow stick well, you can fly a Dandy. Don't let the ailerons intimidate you! This was my first kit and first covering job. It really wasn't hard to build or to cover.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any more info about this plane! Also, there are gobs of threads on the Dandy over at EZone. www.rcgroups.com.

Matt
Old 01-14-2004, 10:55 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Dandy sport flight report

It's always nice to hear of eflight success. Keep the Tantrum in mind. I love mine!

John Pursell
Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 PM
DanaWatson

Default RE: Dandy Upgrade

Can anyone tell me how easy if would be to upgrade a Dandy to a Dandy Sport.

The Dandy has two servos, small motor, and 3 channels; while a Sport has three servos, larger motor, and 4 channels. Is this possible? Has anyone done it? Fill me in.

Thanks,

Dana
Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 AM
shams42
My Feedback: (1)

All you really need is the sport wing and an extra servo for the ailerons. You could fly the sport on the smaller motor. However, the plane would be more exciting and acrobatic with a 350C-C or D and a 10-15 amp ESC.

Matt
Old 01-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

Matt's got it covered. Luckily you can buy the Sport wing without having to buy another plane.