Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wattage F-22 flight duration

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Wattage F-22 flight duration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 01:14 AM
rccrafters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage F-22 flight duration

I have a few flights on the plane and love it. I am getting 3 1/2 minues flight time and would like to get over 5 minutes. Anyone out there have a suggestion on a battery/motor combination to improve the flight time?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 05-28-2002, 06:09 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I've been looking at that F-22...how do you like the flying characteristics of it? What type of battery are you using now, I have an 8 cell 700 mah that I would probably throw into it.

Mike
Old 05-29-2002, 01:13 AM
rccrafters

The plane is a surprisingly good flier. Has great feel. Hand launch by myself is a little tricky but doable. I think the batttery is an 8 cell nicad 600 mah that they recommend. I have an 8 cell 720 mah NIMH that does not turn it up fast enough. I am assembling another one with 9 cells. The plane weighs 14 oz with the nicads.
Ed
Old 06-01-2002, 07:24 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Ed:

If you've got deep pockets, go for the Astro 020 brushless. (225.00 )
But you have to ask for the pusher set-up. It will run longer on
those 600's plus more speed. Going with the 9 cells will help with
a bit more duration plus a small power increase.

Randy
Old 06-14-2002, 02:15 AM
scooby-RCU

Default battery weight

does adding more cells not increase the weight of the plane? and won't that mess the handling of the plane? sorry i got a plane coming in the mail, new to all this
Old 06-14-2002, 02:34 AM
rccrafters

I tried the 9 cell NIMH and it was no good. My plane is 14 oz and is below design weight. It could handle more weightDuration still is an issue.
Ed
Old 06-17-2002, 02:46 PM
JCS
My Feedback: (37)

Default f-22

I have one flying on a turbo 450 direct drive and using 8 cp1300
and getting close to 7 min. and plane is about 3 times faster
Jim
Old 10-14-2002, 07:30 AM
dracula8u

I am currently building my second raptor, I made many improvements on my first andi t flies so good I got another one and am going all out on it. On The first raptor i have a cobalt motor by mpi promax 4014 and a wattage ic380as speed control. For power I use a 10 cell 1100 MAh Ni-MH battery pack (wattage 01944), 7 to 8 minute flights are normal wide open. Prop is a master airscrew 5.5x4, To keep the raptor in one piece a few mods are necessary the tail section needs to be beefed up, I used plastic sheeting warmed on a iron till flexible molded it to shape and epoxied it into place to support the stab bushings the aluminum control rods replaced with brass rod. The plane flies great no toss necessary just let go and fly. from level flight it will do a very impressive loop with no sag at the top. I just finished raptor number 2 today it has a brushless motor astroflight 020 802z pusher, carbon fiber control rods in the tail with bearings servos are hitec HS81. For now I will use the same batt and prop going for unlimited vertical. Sounds like a lot of resources for a little electric but it returns every penny when it flies.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

rccrafters,

The problem with 720mAh NiMH cells is that they're not designed for the same loads as 600mAh NiCds. The NiMH cells are physically limited to about 7A, where the NiCds can do 15A or more.

When replacing NiCd cells with NiMH, you need to look at the physical size of the cells, not the mAh rating. Physical size and shape indicate the current capacity of the cell. In general, fatter cells can carry more current, much like fatter wires can carry more current. It really has to do with the cells' internal resistance values.

Replace NiCd with NiMH of the same physical size. You replaced 2/3A NiCd with AAA NiMH. What you needed to do was replace the 2/3A NiCd with 2/3A NiMH to get the same performance.

The purple HECELLs from http://www.edogfight.com are ideal replacements for 600mAh NiCd cells. They can put out as much current, and have a 66% higher capacity.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:04 PM
birdseed

I used the stock setup with the wattage 800mah NiMH 8 cell battery.
Was getting 5minutes, give or take 30 secs out of the pack at full throtle.
Really liked the plane, unfortuneatly the motor died when running a 8 cell Ncd 600 mah pack in on the ground and havent been able t get a replacement.
I didnt have to make any modifications to it. and i used to hand launch with a throw, never once touhed the ground, but oh so nearly did.
Dont bother with the wheels, it wouldnt run straight anyway.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:01 AM
logan6700

I want to get this model for the sole purpose of making it a edf kit like it should be, I am new to rc i started off flying the t-hawk then i got the astroflight 010 brushless my second plane was the wattage hawk fast plane very fast on stock setup i had my alerons back-wards on my first flight i thought for sure i would crash but some how i landed it after 1 full lap. i totaled it 3 days later then i got the hobby-lobby f-16 edf that got smashed on the first toss.

what is cg can any one explain hahaha i know how to find it on stright wings but on sweped wings i am clue less. I am a pro at smashing planes i crashed my t-hawk about 15 times until i did it in for good. i had 2 400 ducted fans attached to it with a 12 oz batt that thing felt like a brick but the actually flew a few times i hit a lamp post in mid air no dammage, i lost sight of the plane no dammage, my esc quit t-hawk droped from about 100 feet into the ground, i could only recover the push rods and about 3 of the 8 cells. whats wrong with me. the f-16 from hobby-lobby was every fragile i knew 1 crash and she was done 4 is the f-22 the same way since its foam also?

If i get the f-22 i plan to cut about 5-10 inches lenght and 3 inches width from the mid section away. then ill get a mc donalds cup and use it as a duct i got a fan from gws cost about 14 bux. if it works then ill add 2 fans
Old 01-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You probably should have started a new thread, because your question, "What is CG?" is totally unrelated to the Wattage F22...

CG is center of gravity. It's a point of balance. If you suspend an object from its center of gravity, it will balance in all directions. For our purposes, CG indicates the front-to-back balance point of our airplanes.

There are many articles on calculating the CG on wings, even an online CG calculator. All you need to do is search for them.

When you go to balance the F22, balance it where the instructions tell you to balance it, even if you convert it to EDF. It will be the same, as long as you don't change the wings. Usually, on a swept-wing aircraft, the CG is measured from the wing's "root," the point where it meets the fuselage.