Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Cobalt 400 motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need Help with Cobalt 400 motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:47 PM
e-flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Cobalt 400 motor

Has anyone tried the Super 400 Cobalt motor?

I have a wattage I-550 speed control with an 8 cell 9.6V battery, but the motor shuts off at maximum throttle...Ok at upto 90% throttle. I have been told by the hobby store people that I need a "noise control" capacitor, which I already used but did not help. Anyone with suggestions? Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Bill L

How about 3 capicitors, one from + to - and the other two from motor frame to + and -?
If you throtle up does it stay running untill about full? Can you throtle up and down but not to full?
How about over-heat on the ESC? is it well ventilated?
Did the hobby store suggest a Schottky Diode between the motor contacts, silver band to the positive + terminal on the motor? I hope these suggestions help. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 12:44 AM
e-flyer

Hey thanks for the suggestions. As far as capacitors go, what is the spec on each capacitor?
I only used one capacitor between + to - and motor already had + to ground. Maybe I need - to ground as well. The speed control defintely does get warm but it seems well ventilated.

Also, when I run motor without propellor, I don;t have that problem. Only when I put propellor on, does it cut out.....but I made sure with manufact that the propellor is the right size.

So what next? thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Bill L

e-flyer: That tells me the motor with a prop on it is overloading the ESC. Do you have too few, or too many cells in the pack? Each cell is 1.2 volts. Too few mean high amps and heat on the ESC. Too many mean high volts, and heat. Check the motor instructions for volt rating, or number of cells. Is that compatable with the ESC instructions?
Capacitors I use, and are recommended on "can" motors are "104" and "473". I'm thinking these are ratings, not part numbers. They always came with the motors I bought. I have an electrifly t-600R which has a capicitor from + to - only, and it is marked "IC 103z" On a "550" I just looked at there are 2, + to ground and - to ground. They are tiny, and marked "473". Now I'll take my reading glasses off and close this reply[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
I sure hope this helps you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Bill L

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]e-flyer! I forgot something![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] My 550 is controled by an E-Flite Maxx 25 ESC. It runs an 8 inch two blade folding prop. The battery pack is a 6 cell 2000 mAh Radio Shack 23-330. It is in an ODYSSEY sail plane, 87" wing
Old 03-12-2003, 01:12 PM
e-flyer

Thanks for your help....I'll try it out.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:02 PM
sartori1d

another problem might be the batteries, they might not let you draw enough amps, if the speed controller change does not solve the problem try a larger battery, ie: sub-C instead of AA