Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

LI-PO failure QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LI-PO failure QUESTION

to get to the question here is a SHORT story of how it went :

Trying to resuscitate the HANGAR 9 EINDEKKER Park Flyer
I purchased a 2100 MaH THUNDER POWER Li-Poly batt ( $ 52.00 at the LHS )
Next came the MRC 969 SUPER BRAIN for the "charger"
Followed the basic "instructions" closely and watched the charge. Left the room
for a couple of minutes. When I came back, the battery had gone from CONCAVE
surface to CONVEX suface.....in other words it had started to balloon
The voltage was reading 8.8
THE QUESTION NOW IS : is it SAFE to try to discharge this battery ? or CHARGE ?

Needless to say the 969 machine is going back to the seller. After this experience
even one of the connectors just fell off , the whole attachment, and had to be taped
for the return trip. I consider this 969 a terrible experience, having wasted a
hundred dollars.

Is my battery SAVE-ABLE ?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LI-PO failure QUESTION

Hindsight is always 20/20, but you really should've done a search on the SuperBrain 969 before buying. The 969 is NOT capable of charging LiPolys properly, regardless of what the instructions say. According to the 969 instruction manual, the charger uses the same program it uses to charge NiCd and NiMH batteries. LiPolys require a special charging sequence that is completely different from what is used to charge NiCd/NiMH.

Unfortunately, you found out what happens when you treat a LiPoly like a NiCd or NiMH. Fortunately you didn't find out what COULD happen. The pack could've very easily started a fire if you left it alone on that charger long enough.

I'm sorry to say the battery is ruined, and needs to be disposed of. Take pictures of it for evidence, then drop it in salt water (the actual salt concentration is not important, as long as you don't do something smart-*****ed like drop a half a pinch in a 5-gallon bucket of water ). It'll discharge in the water and render itself inert. You can then dispose of the pack in the trash, or pursue replacement of the pack through MRC or Thunder Power.

I don't think you'll get any satisfaction from either. That's not to say Thunder Power will tell you to kiss-off. It's not Thunder Power's fault that the battery ballooned, so it's not reasonable to expect them to replace it under warranty. HOWEVER, they might be willing to push back on MRC for irresponsibly selling a charger that is a potential fire hazard. I have heard nothing but bad things about MRC's customer service, unfortunately.