Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Are Electrics good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Tommy Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Electrics good?

Hi

I am a beginner and can't figure out if I should get a Gas or Electric helicopter.... which is better? and More reliable?.... what about the costs of a gas or electric... are they hard to fly , what are the controls on a remote like??

thank you for ya'lls help--- TOM

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2003, 11:01 PM
Bill L

TOM, unless you an exceptional person, get a fixed wing first. Starting with a helecopter is like taking a baby out of the crib and putting him on a 15 speed bicycle. There are some "teathered" type of helecopters in electric that you probably could learn to control, but a $1000+ gas powered machine would probably last you 5 seconds. If Y'all are really dead set on a helecopter, go electric.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Let us know what you decide, and how y'all are doing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Tommy Boy

Hey thanks, though what is a fixed wing. SO your saying for me to get something like a small airplane first....... do the remote controlls for planes go with helicopters too??

Old 03-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Bill L

FIXED WING: A wing that does not move. This is the opposite of the helecopter "wing" which is the large rotor that rotates and gives the lift.
RADIO: If you have not bought a radio yet, as you shop you will find that a "simple" helecopter can be flown with a "simple" radio. Simple=lower priced. That "simple" transmitter might really be a hand-full when trying to fly a helecopter. Radios compatable for both fixed wing and helecopter get into the computerization that links varrious functions together, and in a proportionate way. I do not know that much about the number of controls needed for a helecopter, but you could fly a 30 inch wingspan fixed wing plane on rudder control only, assuming the motor would run untill it runs out of gas or electric, uncontroled. BUT, for a smooth coordinated turn, a computerized radio could operate the ailelrons to make the plane roll into the turn, but then automatically add a little rudder to make the turn smoother. The receiver in a fixed wing plane could conceivable be used in a helecopter, as long as it had enough channels to operate the necessary control surfaces, and motor/engine
speed for a safe flight.
Now you see why the recommendation of fixed wing first. I learned (am still learning) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] on a fixed wing electric, the original Firebird. I'd not recommend the Firebird II because it is skittish in a slight breeze. I'd recommend the Firebird XL. That plane could cause you to later treat ailelrons like you do it's v-tail controls, and you have to unlearn that. I learned the elevator, motor, rudder (three controls) on a Mini Max. It still cost 2 props, and a motor, but I had a ball making touch and go landings and take-offs with it. I started to do loops, and broke the wings apart, causing a miserable crash.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Like I said, "learning! This is a long answer, but I love to talk about models, especially if someone wants to learn. ALSO I love South Carolina![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 AM
goofup

I was thinking about getting into helicopters also, so I did tons of research over several months. I ended up not getting one, but I'll try to answer your questions.

1- Gas or Electric? I'd get electric. You'll have your hands full just getting the heli itself in tune and balanced. There's no need to add trying to get a gas engine in tune on top of that. Also, there's no mess or fuss.

2- Either is very reliable, but the edge again goes to electric.

3- Cost? You can get a Fun Piccolo set up for about $350+. It's a micro heli, indoor only(!), and needs only a 4 channel radio. The best beginner electric I've read about is the Corona. Can be flown in bigger indoor areas or outdoors in VERY calm winds. $600+. Larger helis require 6-channel heli radios and you can easily spend $1000+.

4- Hard to fly? No harder than learning to ride a unicycle... blindfolded.... up a hill. Beginners spend weeks just learning how to hover. Then more weeks learning how to hover when the heli is facing them and all the controls are reversed. Crashes, repairs, and expensive parts replacement are normal and should be expected.

5- What are the controls like? Busy!! Even the simple ones have all 4 sticks going at the same time. It's worse than any video game cause everytime you lose a game, you're out another $50.

Helis are not for the faint of heart or those with limited pocket books. Bill had some good advice- get an airplane first to get the hang of controlling something in 3D space by remote control (Slow Stick is a great plane to start out on). If you're dead set on eventually getting a heli, go ahead and get a 6-channel heli radio at the same time. (Yes, the radio can be used for both).

I'm with you, I think heli's are so cool... but you should know what you're getting into.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:34 PM
BobbyBalsa

http://users.skynet.be/lac/
please check out this link , it's my club ( electrics only ) providing you a lot of info .

B.B