Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Slow Stick to Formosa

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:18 PM
wright3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick to Formosa

After putting about 5 hours on my SS, I was dying for something faster and more responsive. I went straight to a Formosa. I was very concerned about my ability to handle it so I kept all throws on the conservative side and stuck with the stock power set up except for a 2S 1500 LIPO battery.

I've had it in the air 3 times so far (all done today) and no mishaps excepts for a few instances of misorientation which I managed to catch it before it augered into the ground.

I'm still shaking from the experience. I'm wondering if I jumped ahead of my ability too much and should have gotten a 4 channel trainer first. I think I'll succeed but I may not have made the most sensible choice with the Formosa.

I love the plane and its responsiveness but its ability to roll is almost more than I can handle at this time. I think I'll slow down the roll rate somewhat before I head for the soccer field again

I'd sure like some comments from some of you guys who stepped just a bit ahead of their ability. Did you get away with it and move on or did you take a step backwards to catch up with the challange?

Thanks for any comments,

Randy
Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Slow Stick to Formosa

The Formosa is a terrific model (probably the best little parkflyer around). However, I would not have recommended it as your first aileron trainer. But since you already got it in the air, I see no reason to stop.

Unlike a trainer, this model does exactly what you tell it to do. Where you point it is where it will go. This can be a problem for beginners since they often need a model that easily recovers from pilot mistakes on its own. The SlowStick is like that.

If you end up dorking it then repair it and put it aside. Instead, find a slower/milder aileron trainer and get comfortable flying it. Then pull out the Formosa and have a blast.

And if you ever add retracts to it, you might want to include this: http://www.rc-cam.com/ldtastic.htm
Old 02-03-2004, 08:31 PM
sierra gold

Would I be correct in planning on purchasing a GWS E-Starter as a transition from Slow Stick/Beaver experience into aileron control?

Sierra Gold
Old 02-03-2004, 08:40 PM
cpurick

I took exactly the same path, except that before the Slow Stick I flew an Aerobird, and before that I destroyed an E-Starter and a Funny Park.

The Formosa is truly awesome.

When I was ready to fly mine, I took it to an AMA field, and had one of the club pros take it around the pattern first. After numbing the aileron response a bit, he let me try it for a few minutes. I did my first landings with a buddy box.

It definitely pays to take your foamy to an AMA park. If I'd done that first I'd probably still have my Funny Park! Plus, with LiPoly batteries, the gas guys' jaws drop when they see how long your "toy" can stay airborne.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:11 PM
wright3

After lunch (and my first flying sesion with the Formosa) and back at work, I had a few hours to consider what I had done during my flight time. Your note really helped. To turn the SS, I just held full left or right with a little bit of up. Needless to say, with the Formosa's ability to go where you point it, I was way overcontrolling the ailerons. Took the formosa out after work and just blipped the aileron stick a little to bank the plane then gave it a little back stick. Piece of cake.

I still find the plane very quick and responsive but that's what it's supposed to be. I have the CG foreward at the 95mm mark. I can only imagine what it would be like if balanced at the back of the range.

I have about 1/2 hour in the air with my formosa at this time and think I can learn with it. I'm definetly improving especially since I stop after each landing and consider what I just did wrong. I'm surprised how much ones brain will help if he just stops and thinks a little.

In retrospect, I think the E-Starter would be a better 4 channel trainer. I'm pretty lucky that on three different occasions during my half hour of flight, my plane didn't meet the ground hard. At this time, I can't say my plane is fun, but it sure is exciting. I look for the fun to return as I begin to relax with the plane. Hope that will be soon.

Thanks for your help,

Randy
Old 02-03-2004, 09:41 PM
wright3

I used to build houses in Auburn. I live in Isleton (down in the Delta).

I kinda wish I hadn't been so anxious to get something real responsive. I hope I can keep my Formosa in one piece. I've got 1/2 hour in the air now and so far so good. It's hard for my beginner's fingers to keep up with this thing.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone for the E-Starter before the Formosa so I think you're on the right track. So far I'm limiting myself to only aileron and elevator doing horizontal eights. I really haven't tried the rudder yet. I haven't been able to resist doing a few loops and rolls but I keep them to a minimum because I really don't trust my reflexes with this plane at this time. I've almost spun it into the ground three times because it reacts so much more quickly than what I'm used to. I've got the controls set to the minumum and the CG at its forward point and still the Formosa is a handful for me.

I believe if I'd gone for the E-Starter, I'd be doing more right now than I'm capable of doing with the Formosa. I'd certainly be more relaxed and able to stay ahead of the plane. If I can keep the plane in one piece, I hope to get on the right side of the learning curve soon.

Good luck from one beginner to another,

Randy
Old 02-04-2004, 01:47 AM
sierra gold

Hey Andy,

I am actually up in Foresthill... most people never heard of it, so I say near Auburn.

I ordered an E-Starter from the LHS in Auburn today. Hopefully my Formosa will last longer by going at it this way. I flew gliders for a number of years, but didn't do RC for about 11 years and just got back into it last year. Don't know if these 60+ year old thumbs can adjust to using both R and L hands or not.

Time will tell. Have fun!

Sierra Gold
Old 02-04-2004, 02:56 AM
wright3

I know Foresthill. I built a house in Cool many years ago.

I turn 60 on Friday but I don't think my thumb reflexes have degraded too much. While up in Oroville a few weeks ago, I saw an 85 year old guy giving lessons on how to fly a really fast plane. His was flying over 150 MPH. Guess there's hope for us youngsters.

Have fun with your planes. If you're ever in Isleton, look me up. Go to the grocery store and ask where Randy lives. I'm the resident outboard mechanic in the area.

Good luck with your planes,

Randy
Old 02-04-2004, 01:15 PM
halfmoon129

Hello,

I just bought a P-51 Mustang the other day and assembled it in one night and part of the morning ( 9:00pm-7:00am) . As you can probably tell I am very excited about it. This is my first real plane (I have flown a two channel Firebird Commander) so I dont really know how to use the elevator and aeilerons. My first flight was a disaster. I threw it into the air and just waited for it to gain altitude (as I do with the Firebird), except it just went straight for 20 feet and then nose dived. I picked it up and it seemed alright, so threw up again. This time I thought I should use the elevator to 'elevate' it and get it goin high. So I threw it and then pulled down the stick and the plane shot straight up for 30 feet and then I freaked out and let go of the controls (and the throttle) and then it came shooting down. It blew up on impact. Luckily the tape I covered it with held all the pieces together. So I cried and then went home and glued it back together. So before I try flying it again I figured I should find out from people whether or not I should take a step back and try an easier plane. I heard you guys talk about the E-Starter, does that have aeilerons? Do you think I should get one of them and practice on it before I try flying the Mustang again? Any and all information will be helpful. THanks. Peace.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:45 PM
sierra gold

As I mentioned in an earlier response, I just ordered my E-Starter.

My thoughts on it were that the E-Starter has a few things going for it compared to the Formosa or the P-51 as a trainer.

It is a high wing plane with a small amount of dihedral. It will fly fairly slowly and I've been told will fly OK using ailerons and elevator. This allows you to bring rudder "on-line" at your own pace. It only costs $35 and doesn't take too long to build.

I think that adds up to a pretty good aileron trainer.

Sierra Gold
Old 02-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Airborne 2007

Hey, how small of area can you fly the E-starter in? Does anyone know how fast it flies compared to the aerobird? Thanks

-John
Old 02-05-2004, 05:41 PM
halfmoon129

and what does dihedral mean?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

I just bought a P-51 Mustang the other day and assembled it in one night and part of the morning ( 9:00pm-7:00am) . As you can probably tell I am very excited about it. This is my first real plane (I have flown a two channel Firebird Commander) so I dont really know how to use the elevator and aeilerons. My first flight was a disaster. I threw it into the air and just waited for it to gain altitude (as I do with the Firebird), except it just went straight for 20 feet and then nose dived. I picked it up and it seemed alright, so threw up again. This time I thought I should use the elevator to 'elevate' it and get it goin high. So I threw it and then pulled down the stick and the plane shot straight up for 30 feet and then I freaked out and let go of the controls (and the throttle) and then it came shooting down. It blew up on impact. Luckily the tape I covered it with held all the pieces together. So I cried and then went home and glued it back together. So before I try flying it again I figured I should find out from people whether or not I should take a step back and try an easier plane. I heard you guys talk about the E-Starter, does that have aeilerons? Do you think I should get one of them and practice on it before I try flying the Mustang again? Any and all information will be helpful. THanks. Peace.

and what does dihedral mean?

This is a gag, right?
Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Airborne 2007

Dihedral is the the V shape the main wings make. This is a veeeerrrrryyyy small angle. Begginers airplanes have about 5 degrees of dihedral. This makes them more stable in the air. Normally they are high wing too. So when your plane tips to the side the weight and dihedral in the wing makes your plane return to level.

-John
Old 02-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

Another nice airplane that is a step up from the Slow Sitck is the Wattage Blue Max. Wingspan is 40 inches, it has ailerons, and is nicely built. It has a more responsive brother called the Mad Max.

These are second generation planes evolved from the Mini Max (which did not have ailerons) and the Crazy Max (an airplane I have).
Old 07-19-2004, 12:48 PM
SaMx

Halfmoon129, I think you should go with a 3ch plane like the slow stick, a warbird is usually NOT a bigginer plane. A firebird does not handle like a plane with ailerons. so, get a slow stick and learn to use the elevator. you should be able to use your equipment from the p-51.