Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beaver Taxi/Takeoff Mystery Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Beaver Taxi/Takeoff Mystery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 09:44 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beaver Taxi/Takeoff Mystery Problem

Ok, I have to admit I'm stumped on this problem. Maybe someone has an idea I haven't thought of:

I got a Beaver last week. Haven't flown it yet because it's too damn cold and windy here in Chicago, but I decided I've had enough of not being able to steer on the ground, so i came up with what I think is a nifty mod to make the rear wheel steerable. What I don't know is if that's my problem, which is:

I was out tonight in the street in front of my house. New smooth blacktop. I steer all over the place nicely nice and slow, tracking straight as an arrow I apply throttle 5MPH, 6,still nice straight line, 7,8,everything great and straight,9, maybe 10, then POW! 90 degree right turn or left turn almost flipping over out of control.

What the hell?! First I think I have one or the other front wheel too tight; nope, both even if just ever so slightly stiff, then I think the front is lifting and the rear wheel is still in contact so I try with some down elevator to lift the tail; same deal.

I'm at a loss. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it's acting exactly like I didn't have a tail section at all and when the rear wheel lifts, the tracking is lost. Is it just that there's not enough air moving by the tail yet? Can a tiny model just not take off gradually like a full size airplane? Will I just have to go full throttle from the start and up elevator and drag it into the sky with the Himax that's installed? Is the Beaver fin too small for such roll offs?

Is it the steering tail wheel? I don't see how when it's tracking straight when it happens.

Any ideas?

I never tried it with the fixed wheel so I have no point of reference.

Or is it something really stupid and simple I'm brain farting on?

Help!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Beaver Taxi/Takeoff Mystery Problem

Welcome to Ground Loop ... do a search on possible cures (eg, toe in on main LG, moving CG, keeping up elevator on the ground, etc)
Old 02-11-2004, 12:07 AM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Beaver Taxi/Takeoff Mystery Problem

Damn! I knew there was a name for it! I did search forever, but you know how searches go when you don't know exactly how to phrase it.

Thanks!

I just looked at the wheels and they're toed OUT