Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

nicad to alkaline change, help!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

nicad to alkaline change, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:22 PM
tilleym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nicad to alkaline change, help!

I have an older Futaba transmitter, FP T6NLK, which took Futaba nicad battery pack NT-8LP. I have a holder for (8) alkaline batterys that will install, want to try this, want to know if this will work for this old transmitter, in place of the nicads. Nicads were 9.6 volt, 500 mah, seems like this (8) pack of AA batteries would be 12 volt? will this work? thanks for any help.. .wrote Futaba... they wrote back... "can't answer, liability reasons, blah, blah blah.." thanks....

Mike
Old 02-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: nicad to alkaline change, help!

NiCds are usually around 1.4V when fully charged. That's 11.2V.

What you'll notice with the alkalines is that you have to keep replacing them. It'll get expensive very quickly. Get yourself a pack of inexpensive rechargable NiCd or NiMH cells at Wal-Mart and install them in the battery holder instead of the alkalines.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:35 PM
tilleym

thank you...

the NiMH cells are rechargeables that don't get a "memory" , right, and would be superior to nicads? thanks for response to these novice questions...

Mike
Old 02-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Matt Kirsch

Memory has become a myth perpetuated by people who have been using NiCds for many years, and haven't kept abreast of the new developments in the technology. Modern NiCds don't develop memory either.

But yeah, NiMH would be the way to go here. You can get cells that make great transmitter packs at WalMart fairly cheap. They have 2-3 times the capacity of the old NiCds. They definitely have no memory.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:42 PM
tilleym

Ok,

one more stupid question... I will go with the NiMH cells... will they charge OK with the Futaba charger that came with this transmitter years ago, for the original nicad pack?

thanks...
Old 02-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Matt Kirsch

Yes, it will just take forever. Divide the mAh rating of the cells by the mA rating of the charger, and add about 40% on. Most wallwarts charge at 50mA, which means a 2000mAh AA cell will take 56 hours to charge!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:24 PM
tilleym

thanks!

hey, I'm asking novice questions, but I am taking the advice... just went to Wal Mart, per your suggestion, got (8) 2300 mAh NiMH cells at a good price... sooooooo... per your above formula, what is the ideal mA output of the right charger? and what voltage? 9.6 volts? I have a charger that charges at either 9 volts or 12 volts, selectable, at 300 mA, will this do a good job charging these? If not, what mA charger rating, and voltage, is ideal?

thanks again!

Mike