Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

FireBat Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:57 PM
FirebatFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FireBat Question

Hello I recently bought a firebat deluxe kit. After flying..... and crashing I have repared the front and the canards. I am going to try to fly it tonight with a lighter battery pack just one of the kind that is from standard rc cars that is 9.6V 8 Cell. When I was doing the CG I relized that when i do it on the edge of the wing it is a little front heavy. But when i do it down the spline it is back heavy anybody else have this problem?
Old 03-07-2004, 05:36 PM
FirebatFlyer

Default RE: FireBat Question

Another thing is I was reading on breaking in electric engines should I do this. Will this make my motor have more power?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:53 PM
FirebatFlyer

Just got done flying it. Did it fly? Yes perfectly with the lighter battery I didn't try the supplied battery though I may try that next weekend. I was hesitant about going and and flying it when I read that people were returning them for the full refund no matter what condition but I decided to fly. Here are some tips for somebody that cant get theres to fly.

1. The biggest thing I think was wrong with mine the first flight is that I hadn't switched the propeller
2. CG Is one of the most important things that you need to do after done building it you are probably back heavy and will need to add some weights to the front.
3. Make sure the ailerons are going the right way with the controller the first time i tried to fly it the ailerons were backward so i tried to roll left and it rolled right which made me push more on the stick more but what happened is that i did a complete barellroll and landed
Old 03-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Good advice. I still maintain that the Firebat isn't the awful dog that everyone claims it is. It's just not a design for the "typical" R/C pilot. Everything has to be PERFECT for it to fly properly, and most people just aren't that thorough. I know I'm not.

One of the biggest complaints I remember is lack of power. The actual problem is CG. Too nose heavy, and you have to hold a bunch of up elevator to make the plane fly straight. The added drag from the up elevator kills the plane's speed. Tail heavy, and the plane will waffle around nose-high, and never develop any speed in the first place...

Breaking in the motor does more for its lifespan than power. You'll see a marginal improvement in power, but not that much. Actually, on a cheap can Speed 400 motor like the one that comes with the Firebat, you won't see much of an increase in lifespan or power.