Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

motor stops and won't restart without pushing start button

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

motor stops and won't restart without pushing start button

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:41 PM
CaptainRandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor stops and won't restart without pushing start button

Hi Guys, I just installed a Futaba 4 channel radio (4YF) in my Badius electric glider/plane.
The problem is I am using the ESC that came with the plane and all seems to be fine, EXCEPT that when I throttle back and then try to go to full throttle, there is no response. I have to push the start button again. This is difficult to do when the plane is in the air.
This did not happen with the original receiver that came with the plane. The throttle response is real smooth and as long as I don't cut it all the way back, she keeps on going. I guess I could just fly it with a little throttle all the time, but I think I should be able to kill the motor and restart by just adding throttle.
Any suggestions???
Randy
Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: motor stops and won't restart without pushing start button

Randy,

Something isn't playing right on your setup.

Assuming that it works, try replacing your push-button switch with a toggle switch or simply short the two enable wires together. If this keeps the ESC alive, at least you can fly your plane. Just be careful of a live prop whenever the receiver is powered.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

One thing you might want to do is test the theory by holding down the reset button and operating the throttle, just to make sure before you start cutting wires. The ESC might not operate while the button is being held down, so cutting it off and installing a toggle may in fact be less useful than the push button.

This is that "Accipter Badius" plane that came with all its own radio gear. Presumably, the ESC is non-standard. It works, but it was designed for the proprietary radio system that came with the plane. The throttle signal from your new radio goes out of the range this ESC considers acceptable, so it disables itself to prevent injuries. If holding the button down doesn't help, the only true solution will be to replace the ESC with a standard unit that's designed and calibrated for standard radios.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:27 PM
CaptainRandy

Hey Matt,
Thanks for that info. I will give it a try. I have been trying to get hold of another member that had this same plane and I recall him saying that he installed a Hitec radio equipment to replace the original that came with the plane. He said that the ESC worked even better (more smoothly) than the original. I was assuming that his Hitec and my Futaba would be the same.

If I have to get a new speed control, no big deal. I could use it in another plane down the road.

I had to modify this cheap plane immediatley upon receiving it, as it was set up with 2 sticks, but Mode 1. I didn't want to learn to fly that way and then have to change to Mode2 later.

That is why I replaced the radio equip. to a standard Mode 2.

Thanks again for you input on the ESC.
Randy
Old 03-16-2004, 12:05 AM
bmc1023

I have a 6YF-FM in my Badius...all works fine...the only time I have to press the start button is when I first power on the plane.
Is your battery pack fully charged? The ESC is designed to stop the motor when power supply is insufficient so that remaing power is supplied to flight controls.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:19 AM
CaptainRandy

Yes it was a fresh battery. I know it worked ok with the original 27mgz receiver.
I think I will be installing a new speed control, one that I can use later on in a different plane.

It sure would have been eaiser to buy a plane with mode 2 in the first place. There are 140 members in my local club and only one that flys mode 1. Not much help there as everyone's thumbs are already pre-programed.

I was considering just selling the whole plane with 3 wings ( 2 polyhedral & 1 flat) , 3 battery packs, 2 props, and quick charger. Then I could just buy an ARF and put my Futaba in it.

I do like the indestructability LOL, of this Badius. I have only flown it once and that was with supervision.

Thanks for you input, and happy flying.
Randy