Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Best LiPo Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 06:44 PM
RCaillouet3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best LiPo Charger?

Okay guys and gals, not it is time for a few fun questions! The questions I have are rather simple!

What is the best charger for 2S and 3S packs up to 2100 MaH, that is capable of "slow" for storage and "quick" charging them for field use? Should my charger have a discharge feature for a few initial cycles on LiPo, or is it okay to charge and fly from the get go?

Any help or opinions on this matter are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Reg
Old 03-21-2004, 09:44 PM
NMPhi767

Default RE: Best LiPo Charger?

I have a Hobbico charger and it works pretty good. It does up to three cells and can charge two batteries at once. It is about forty dollars. If you want to move up packs with more cells, then you will have to go with a triton charger or something similar and much more expensive.

As far as li-po's go, I have been told that there is not such thing as "quick charging." I was under the impression that they should not be charged any higher than 1C. Li-poly have no memory either so I have always just charged them up and went out and flown with them. I never have had a problem and I never cycle them like I used to do with my ni-cds.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:32 PM
RCaillouet3

I guess my "quick" charge refference has been mistaken. As long as I can charge, say a Kokam 3S 1500 for example, in two hours I am happy! I just don't want something that is strickly for for overnight charge only type thing.

Thanks,

Reg
Old 03-21-2004, 10:53 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Take a look at the Apache charger at www.his-hershobbies.com There are two models, one will do 2 cells and the other will do up to 4 cells.

Nice units and a good price to boot!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:46 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Is it safe to chage a Li-Poly Pack at under 1c?

has anyone used the Sirus Li Charger?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2004, 05:29 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Yes RCaillouet, it's safe to charge LiPos at less than 1C.

I'm using the little 110 volt AC Plantraco that can charge one to 3 cells at 50 - 400 mAh on my TP 2s 2100 packs. It's slow, but it's handy because I charge in the evenings at home. I drop the batery I'm charging into an oven-safe glass dish and while I do my evening stuff it charges up.

I'm looking at going with the Hobbico charger that can do two packs at once and IIRC go up to over 2 amps. Issue there is that the Hobbico is a 12v input, so I'll need to get a gel cell plus something to charge the gel cell, or just run off my car battery at the field.

I like the gel cell idea. If a LiPo decides to get cranky it can burn up a gel cell, but it won't take my car with it ....

Cheers!!!

BobbyG
Old 03-22-2004, 07:10 PM
vanman

I have the hobbico II and it does just fine at 1amp max. It will charge 2 packs at the same time.

I also have the Apache 2500 charger that will do 1-4 cells at up to 2500mah and I like it too.

Both are 12v input chargers, but I always charge in my truck while at the field, on the way to or from work, etc.......
Old 03-22-2004, 07:23 PM
NMPhi767

You can also buy a switching power supply from radio shack for forty bucks if you want the convenience of charging from an 110 volt home plug. You just plug the charger into the switching power supply and it converts the A/C into a 13.5 volt DC current.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 PM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

I vote for my Apache 2500... up to 4 cell and fairly safe with automatic shut down if not connected correctly.
Here is a link to good info I found when studying up to buy mine.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...ts/smrtchg.htm

Got one of these too..... has nothing to do with li-po's however.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46549.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	114370  
Old 03-25-2004, 11:52 AM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

The best LiPo charger for the buck is probably the AstroFlight 109. Simple to use and works great.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:11 PM
vanman

Randy,

Again off the subject but.....

Where in Kansas is Silver Lake? That stop sign design looks awfully familiar. Do you happen to know Tom or Sam Noe? They have been flying these things for years and years and are from Kansas as well (near Joplin, MO)

What size is that one? The one I have is 48" and has a Webra 120 and a pipe.....

Anyhow, sorry to everyone else for going off topic on the thread, you just don't see to many of these around.....

Bill
Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 PM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Bill, No I don't know the guys...I'll PM you as not to warp the thread......
Old 03-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Dopesick

For SPEED in charging I recommend the Astro-Flight 109 Lithum. For safety, I recommend the Great Planes Triton (you also get capabilities to charge damn near ANY battery)
Old 03-27-2004, 06:22 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Why is the triton safe? I thought since it could do different batteries it would be more prone to user mess up.

Thanks

Rob
Old 03-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Dopesick

Yeah the user can screw up but that can happen with ANY charger. The triton takes more time to charge a LiPo based on many factors. I believe it to be much safer then say a astro 109.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:43 PM
jwong

Hi, I read the manual of the Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII - Li-Ion/NiCad/NiMh, and it says explicitly on the manual as Li-Ion is different than Li-PO

"Never attempt to care for lithium-ion (Li-Ion) cells in the same
way as other battery types! Li-Ion cells have design and
operational characteristics which greatly differ from NiCd and NiMH
batteries and thus have different care and handling requirements. In
addition, do not mistaken lithium-ion cells for other lithium-based cell
types (such as lithium-metal, lithium-polymer, etc.), as other lithium
hybrids have different care and handling characteristics as well. All
“lithium” based batteries types are NOT the same."

but on the other hand, many online hobby stores and forum like this one claims that we can change Li-PO and Li-Ion using Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII. So is it safe to charge Li-PO with Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII then?

thanks.

Jimmy
Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 AM
vanman

Jimmy,

I have read the instruction manual of the Hobbico charger as well, I also know that I have andmany that I fly with are using the Hobbico charger with our Li-Poly packs and have hundreds of cycles on each of our packs WITHOUT failure....

Will Hobbico say it is safe? probably not....will others say it is safe.....probably not.....

Do I have hundreds of cycles on my E-Tec 11.1v 1200mah 3S1P packs.....YES

For what it's worth anyhow...that's my two cents

Bil
Old 09-04-2004, 01:03 AM
jwong

Thanks a lot Bil. I have bought the MKII and i am excited to get it...

btw, you stop-sign plane is very cool... do you have video stream like mpg or avi that records its flight ? does it use LiPo battery ? Thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 09:08 AM
vanman

I am sure you will be happy with your MKII charger! Just remember, green is good when charging Li-Po's.... in other words the the little LED is red when in Ni-Cd charge mode, yellow when in Ni-Mh charge mode and GREEN when in Li-Po charge mode. GREEN IS GOOD, any other setting and your packs will be ruined. Of course that is the same of any other charger that does Li-Po's, wrong setting equals buying new batteries.

The stop sign in my avitar is actually 48" x 48" made of 1-1/2" blue insulatioin foam and has a Webra 120 with a pipe on it.....I do have some video of it flying, just not in digital format.

Check out www.his-hershobbies.com we have 18" x 18" stop signs that are made from the blue fan fold foam and use the standard GWS gearbox setups with Li-Po's...... add a brushless setup and hold on!!

Safe Flying

Bill