Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about proper battery charger use,,,

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Question about proper battery charger use,,,

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Freetime000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about proper battery charger use,,,

I have a PF-12 Park Flyer AC/DC Peak Charger by Wattage. My question is about the CURRENT ADJUST knob. I am charging a couple 650MAH batteries, a 600MAH Battery, and a 2000MAH Battery, I am confused at how I should set the Current Adjuster. IT goes from 250 - 2000 Ma. What is the reasoning for this adjuster as well. Thanks... just don't want to destroy a battery.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:54 PM
NMPhi767

Default RE: Question about proper battery charger use,,,

The knob has to do with capacity. If I remember correctly, its been awhile since I have used this charger and I am trying to remember the instruction manual, the reason that you can set the knob to different settings is to "quick charge" certain batteries. Ni-cd's can be charged up to 2C (2 times its capacity) I think. So if you have a 600 mah battery and it is ni-cd, you can charge it at the 1200 ma setting. This should then charge in half an hour. Only do this however if you have charged the battery a few times at 1C. Because you have some batteries that have a higher capacity than others, you can adjust the charger so that you are not waiting for a long time to have your higher capacity packs charge. Think about it, if you have your 2000 mah battery charging at only 500 mah, its going to take a long time to charge. Thats why you can adjust to increase the current. Nimh batteries are a little different. Once again I am relying on memory, but I think that those should be charged at 1.5C only and no higher.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. You don't want to charge your batteries too fast, and in the same breath, you don't want to wait several hours for them to charge either. Charging too fast will destroy batteries, and having to wait several hours between flights just plain sucks Hence, the need for adjustable current.

The simplest rule of thumb that works for all batteries is to set the knob equal to the capacity of the pack you're charging. This is a good safe charge rate for any type of battery, a 1C or C charge rate, and will take approximately an hour to complete. Some batteries can be charged faster, but unless you know exactly what kind of battery you have, it's always safe to charge at the C rate.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Freetime000

That all clears it up thanks guys. Charge at capacity but some batteries can handle double for faster charging. Normal charge time is an hour but at double you can get a half hour.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your batteries are Nicads the 1/2 hour quickcharge is the way to go. ....................... Nimh's are best charged at 1-"C"( the 1 hour charge rate).