Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need help on it all... (radio & engine)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need help on it all... (radio & engine)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 PM
AlaDan00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on it all... (radio & engine)

I'll admit, I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to electric planes. I'm not new to glow power though, so I have a little knoldge. Just enough t be dangerous when it comes to electric I guess. But, I recently bought a sail plane at a swap meet. The plane has an 87.5!QUOT! wing span and weight of approx. 55 oz total. The plane was designed for a gas engine but I like the idea of being able to start and stop the electric in mid-air on a glider. Can anyone help me to figure out what I need to buy to put this bird int he air using an electric engine and GWS micro flight pack. Does the crystal come with the GWS flight pack? What do I need to get for the motor as far as speed controller and batt.? I'm planning on using my Futaba 6-exa computer radio. Is the GWS compatible with this radio? What do I need to do in order to get everything I need to get the servo's and receiver installed without any headaches? Can anyone help or am I just a lost cause????[&o]
Old 03-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need help on it all... (radio & engine)

Sounds a little chunky, if you ask me. Is that 55oz what it weighs now, or what it should weigh fully laden? I suspect that it weights 55oz now, so that's the assumption I'm using in the rest of my reply.

I would not recommend a GWS flight pack for this plane. It's much too large and heavy for those tiny pico servos and capable of flying much farther away than the pico receiver has range for. If the servos don't strip out before you get very far, the plane will fly out of range and crash anyway. You want a good dual-conversion receiver and at least "micro" servos, if not standard servos. This plane is going to weigh close to 6lbs with the electric power system and radio gear onboard. Your typical GWS flight pack is meant for a 7 ounce plane!

Now, before we even start talking about components, what would you like to get out of this plane? How much are you willing to spend? We can go with a cheap geared car motor and NiCd batteries to get you "scale" performance, or we can go whole-hog with brushless and LiPoly batteries for straight vertical climbs like a competition glider.