Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Help...I am a little slow

Old 03-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Help

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...I am a little slow

I have the Easy Star box opened and the body of the plane out. Help me out. What is the procedure as far as the charging of the battery pack? I have a charger that is supposed to be hooked to a car battery. How do I take the battery out of the plane to charge it or do I leave it in the plane? After the battery is charged what is the next step? I fail to see this information in the booklet that came with the plane. What do I do with the receiver? Is it to be hooked to the battery pack? I am really new at this and the whole thing is somewhat confusing. This is an RTF kit. As far as the tail section and wings, I should be ok with those. It is the electronics and the proper method that I should use to get the plane ready to fly that is confusing. I don't want to destroy anything getting this plane ready. I am sure that this is very simple for the majority but it is new ground for me. I have 8 NiCad batteries in the charger at this time that will go in the transmitter. I just don't want to destroy the receiver and the battery pack. The only charger that I have for the battery pack is the charger that is to be hooked to a car battery. I also don't want to break the foam taking things apart. ??????????????

Any advise that anyone can give me that have experience with this RFT kit will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 06:59 PM
FirebatFlyer

Default RE: Help...I am a little slow

Hello Help I don't have any experience with this plane and I know that I am not an expert on electronics not even at the least. But I ill try to extend what I know to you. As for connecting the battery to the receiver since this is an electric plane then it probably has a speed controller so what you do is connect the battery to the speed controller and the speed controller to the receiver on the speed servo connection. As for taking the battery out of your plane its nice not to have to haul your plane out to the car when you want to charge it. Normally you just charge the battery until it get a little warm because that means that the battery cannot hold any more charge so it is converting the power to heat. hope any of this info helps you.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Let me assure you that it's not nearly as complicated as you think it is.

The battery should simply slide out, and it should be fairly obvious how it comes out of the plane. It will not be glued in or buried in the plane in such a way that you have to wreck the plane to get it out. That would be just plain dumb for the manufacturer to do. They want you to be happy with your plane and buy more battery packs.

As far as the electronics, they should have already been prewired and ready to go. All you should have needed to do was put 8 AA batteries in the transmitter, charge the airplane's battery, plug it in and go flying.

I find it odd that you're having trouble getting the airplane's battery OUT. Did you buy this plane new? If you bought it from someone who already tried to use it, it's pretty obvious that they did something bad to that airplane. You should have had questions about putting the battery IN. The battery should have come in a separate area in the box.

The electronics all have special plugs so that you can't plug things in the wrong way, or in the wrong places. Look at the plugs very carefully. IT should be obvious which plugs go where. You'll only have a problem with the speed control, elevator servo, and rudder servo plugs. They're all the same, and plug into any of the ports on the receiver.

1. The plug from the speed control goes in port #3.
2. The plug from the elevator servo goes in port #2.
3. The plug from the rudder servo goes in port #1.

You can tell which is the elevator and which is the rudder servo by moving the elevator and rudder very gently, and seeing which servos respond inside the airplane.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Help

Matt, what you say makes a lot of sense. However it doesn't appear to be that easy. I bought the plane new. The battery is pushed far down into the nose of the plane that it is hard to get to. When I tried to remove it , it wouldn't budge. I am afraid that I am going to split the nose of the plane. However, I will try again. Velcro seems to be holding the battery in place. There is a loose wire coming from I take to be the receiver. I guess that wire will plug into the battery after it has been charged.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2004, 07:43 AM
Mikerjf

I'm familiar with the Easy Star, but not the RTF. The battery location has to result in a center of gravity that is per the manual (5mm forward of the back edge of the spar cover). This may or may not require the batteries to be fully forward in the nose. When you're done assembling the plane the battery has to be securely mounted but easy to remove. If the velcro mount makes it difficult to remove the battery tape a string to the battery pack and pull the pack loose with the string (don't use the wires), or don't use the velcro and wedge the pack in with removeable foam. On the kit I built for my club all the electronics are on the floor of the fuse. I cut a piece of 3/4 thick styrofoam to fit the fuse cavity. It sits on top of the elctronics and secures them in place. The battery pack sits on top of the styrofoam centered in the removeable hatch opening.

Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Hmm, that does not sound right at all. I'm wondering if someone manhandled this plane before you, then took it back to the store... The battery is generally not installed in the plane during shipment for reasons that should be obvious right about now The jostling during shipment and inevitable drops will jam the battery up in somewhere it's not supposed to be.

That battery should come out if you pull and twist carefully. Worst case scenario, you do damage the plane a bit. The damage will probably be simple to repair, AND you do have recourse with the distributor of the airplane. Hitec/Multiplex USA has a well established and very customer-oriented service department.

Okay, about the loose wire. There will be another loose wire hanging off the battery. If it matches the one coming from what is probably the speed control, not the receiver, then you're right. Like I said, the plugs will mate up, and the servo plugs are different from the battery plug. It's painfully obvious when the plugs aren't meant for each other.

Now, if this is just a loose wire, a plain old thin wire with no connector, it's the antenna. That should be routed outside the fuselage away from the prop.