Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good rough field airplane? Suggestions please.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Good rough field airplane? Suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 08:26 AM
HoboDog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good rough field airplane? Suggestions please.

I fly in my own field. Not very smooth. The grass is kept short by the goats but the underlying surface is rough.
I want to fly an electric larger than the typical hand launch planes. I need rough field, ground handling, performance. I found the Clancy Big Bee with 72 inch wing span. It is advertised to be "...at home with the off road RC trucks, A special heavy duty suspension set with R/C monster truck shocks and springs is available for the Big Lazy Bee for use with the 6" wheels..."
Just what I'm looking for. Unfortunately its taking me forever to build. It's a 1995 kit with very few die cut parts. A lot of sticks and sheets to fabricate parts out of. I'll finish someday but...
Any suggestions for a rough field plane that goes together a little quicker? I have an AXI 4120/14 and a Thunder Power 4s49 8000mAh to feed it. Gas or electric is OK. I'll convert it if needed.

EDIT = changed all the !QUOT! you get when you spell check to " like I meant. Hey RCU, any fix for this? Love your site!
Old 03-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good rough field airplane? Suggestions please.

I fly .60 sized electrics in a field like yours and bungee launch them. Here is a pohto of my Great Planes (modified) Maxcim powered Corsair. Also a photo of shock absorbing landing gear I have used sucessfully on a few different planes at the club field. Bounce free landings...................... at last!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72781.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	116279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75928.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	116280  
Old 03-28-2004, 09:02 PM
HoboDog

Jim;
I never thought of bungee launching. Sounds like a great idea but well below my knowledge and skill for now. Gives me something to think about and shoot for. Pun intended. I love the plane and the landing gear. Is that shock absorber from the aircraft or RC car world? In other words, what is it?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the smallest R/C car shocks I could find. I have used them on a Super Kaos(pictured), an Astro Hog and a TigerKitten. Planes up to 9 Lbs.
I mounted the two wire supports in standard landing gear blocks. One of the supports pivots in this block and the other is fixed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33500.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	116370  
Old 03-28-2004, 09:21 PM
HoboDog

Thanks. I wonder if my daughter would miss the shocks off her E-Traxx Monster truck? After all, I did raise her...